1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Split Monitor Cable & Extension

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anne Troy, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anne Troy

Anne Troy Thread Starter

First Name:
    Anne
    Hi, guys! I am not sure what to buy!

I have a Dell 19" monitor. I dunno what kind it is. Flat screen.
    But I just bought an ASUS VH238 23-inch.
    Now, I want to do the dual-monitor thing, but I want the 23-inch to have a nice long cord... 6 or 8 feet.
    Let me know if I'm out of my mind.
    I also need the splitter.

Can anyone provide (no Ebay please) links to appropriate cables--both splitter and extender?
    Or am I just being a big baby?
    I don't want to buy crap, but don't want to spend a lot either.
    Help!
    And thanks!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you want to see the same thing on both monitors or two separate things? A splitter will only show you the same thing on both screens, including the same resolution. If you want to see two different things on each monitor then you will need a video card that has two outputs.

A 6 or 8 ft cable isn't much of a problem. But the cable type may depend on what video card or integrated graphics you have and what outputs are present, many(most actually) new systems support dual outputs, just check the back of the PC or post the specs/info on your computer.

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy Thread Starter

First Name:
    Anne
  4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That system has one DVI-I port and one HDMI port. You can convert the DVI-I port to VGA if you need too with a simple adapter(unless your Dell has DVI in which case you can just use a straight DVI cable) and use the HDMI port for the newer monitor, you may need to buy an HDMI cable for it though.

The Dell will have a model number on the back, or just look for a white port.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1044292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice