1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Split Screen (6) Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by KesiaVisser, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KesiaVisser

KesiaVisser Thread Starter

I have a Proline Laptop with Windows Vista Business.
    I dont remember what i was doing at the time but the latop just froze.
    I then used the power button to switch it off and then back on again. right from start it is viewing 6 split screen. 3 Stacked on top of each other on the right and on the left.
    I can see the bois and then "starting windows". then just a black screen. Ive tried to connect it to and external screen but it doesnt show anything on the external screen just the normal 6 split on the laptop screen. going into safe mode is successful but i can not change the setting as givin in the fix (right click on desktop, click on personilize, click on display settings, click on advanced settings, click on the troubleshoot tab and then on change settings and turn hardware acceleration to none) when i try to put hardware accelerating on none a window pops up that says:the new setting could not be saved to registry. I have opend the laptop and made sure that all the cables are plugged in and secure and it was. i even wigled all the cable to see if its a fulty cable and nothing. Ive heard it can be fixed by doing a Bios Update. i have no idea how to do it. can anyone tell me how to do a bios update or another possible fix please! HELP! :(

2. kenny111111

kenny111111

hello,
    just to be clear, you can get into windows normal, you get a black screen?, what happens if you press ctrl+alt+del at the same time?
    if it gives options, "start the task manager" click file (top left)>new task (run) >type explore.exe >OK
    do you have a vista disk?

3. KesiaVisser

I tried pressing alt, control, del at the same time on normal mode (on the black screen) and nothing happend so i tried in safe mode. and followed your steps. all is fine until i type explore.exe when i click on ok a window pops up that says "Windows cannot find 'explore.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. Ive tried a few times and still get the same massage. I dont have a vista disk anymore but if i can get one from a friend, what do u suggest?

4. kenny111111

kenny111111

im soooo sorry, its suppost to be explorer.exe try that see if you can get to device manager ,see of any warning signs there....

BTW enter safe mode with networking,

sorry for the type O before
    good luck

5. KesiaVisser

ok i went into safe mode with networking. got into task manager and tried explorer.exe hehe it worked. It opens a window called documents, and in the window there one file, cant realy read the name. something like "f6flpy96x06[1]". i found a disk that says : Essential PC First Aid Vista Repair Kit. Wil this help at all or do i need the vista install disk?
    Anyway in the file i found in Documents there are a few things, text document, security catalogs, setup information, system file and an OEM file (Looks like TxTSETUP). Cant see much on screen sorry. I dont know what to do so if its ok ill just do exactly as you say. :)

6. kenny111111

kenny111111

did you make the disks when you first got the laptop?
    do you have a users manual, (I can't find any info on your laptop) proline? who makes it? if you have a manual, look for instructions on how to return to factory settings,(should be something like power on holding the alt+f10)
    do you have your data backed up?
    when you type explorer.exe your desktop is suppost to show up, looks like you are infected with something (I would try to delete that folder that shows up)
    your screens still messed up in safe mode?

more questions than answers, sorry this is weird ..

7. KesiaVisser

hey
    Yeah screen still messed up in safe mode. No manual no sorry but i can download one. Got the laptop from a friend and dont think ha has got the disks or manual anymore. dont have a backup yet but will make one today. i think there might be a virus on here, dont think he had anti virus on. will clean it with e scan

8. kenny111111

kenny111111

is the laptop bootable? did you try to delete that folder in safe mode?

9. K7M

K7M

It sounds like you have the same problem as a lot of HP laptops with the nvidia video chip. The chip overheats and it looses connection to the PC board.

10. KesiaVisser

Hey
    Sorry havnt had time to check the post lately. Ive been thinking that vista give a lot of problems and it might not worth while trying to save it. I got a license for windows 7 Starter. Will the problem go away if i just format and load Windows 7 Starter?

Thanx for all the help so far! :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice