1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Split Screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chzdog242, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chzdog242

chzdog242 Thread Starter

So my Dad just got a new laptop, and it has this feature that allows you to use a second screen that you attach as a split screen (two screens displaying different things off one computer). I have also seen this on many newer model computers under the desktop settings. Can I do this on my older XP laptop? Does it pertain to just software, or hardware too? Do I just need to bite the bullet and get a new computer?

2. lemondrop

lemondrop

Assumuing you have a VGA output all you should have to do is hook up the second monitor and power it on. Right click on the desktop and select properties. Click the settings tab. You should have 2 blue screens labeled 1 and 2. Single click on 2. Put a check in the box next to "extend my windows desktop to this monitor". Hit okay to exit display properties. You should now have video on the second monitor.

3. bkpeck

bkpeck

Do you mean tile the desktop?? Or Desktop Manager(4screens)?

4. chzdog242

chzdog242 Thread Starter

Ok, so Lemondrop, you understand what I want to do, but you dont understand my problem. My computer doesn't have that feature built in, but my Dad's brand new laptop does and so does many other really new computers I have seen.

5. lemondrop

lemondrop

If your laptop doesn't have a VGA port you may be able to get a PCI video card or a PCMCIA video card. Without knowing your laptop model it's pretty hard to give you any specific advice.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/358948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice