1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Split WiFi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PaulJanevski, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PaulJanevski

PaulJanevski Thread Starter

Hi,

Can I have 2 wifi accounts on the 1 modem / router? I live with another person, and I want to assign 70% bandwidth for myself and all of my devices, and 30% for the other person and there devices.

2. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Most ISP-provided routers can't do this, but you could use one or more UniFi access points and set up one of the wireless SSIDs as a Guest and restrict the bandwidth on it. Other folks here may have experience with other devices that may better fit your needs.

3. PaulJanevski

PaulJanevski Thread Starter

Thanks Mike. I was kind of hoping it could all be done within the modems control panel. Thanks anyway.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You don't need the isolation of separate SSIDs if you are not worried about any security related issues. If you're just focusing on bandwidth control, many basic routers (including those provided by ISPs) have QoS features. Depending on the QoS feature set of a particular device, you can set policies to control bandwidth based on IP or MAC address.

TechGuy likes this.
  5. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    It's been a while since I've used a home wireless router. Is there a particular one with this feature that you could recommend for Paul? Thanks!

6. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    TechGuy likes this.
  7. HowdyHigh

HowdyHigh

run wired through a 10mb hub(switch) to another wifi creating device (router, access point). give that one the same broadcast name/ password. Then change the original. Its mean but works for scrub wifi users

8. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    That's a quick-and-dirty solution, but would work well assuming you want to limit one of the networks to 10 Mbps. (For example, if you have a 50 Mbps connection and want one network to be able to use all of it, but the other only a max of 10 Mbps.) Even so, the QOS solution could be used in more situations and could better balance the traffic between the two groups of users.

HowdyHigh likes this.
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice