1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Spontaneous reboots and occasional BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Dcook22, Jun 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dcook22

Dcook22 Thread Starter

Hey folks... so I am hoping someone can help me troubleshoot an issue I am having with my son's pc.

It's a Windows 10 machine. 16GB Ram. AMD Ryzen 5 processor (dont know specifically which off the top of my head). 1TB Western Digital HD. Nvidia 1050 graphics card.

He recently purchased a small keyboard to hook up to his PC so he could make music. He wasn't having issues until he installed the drivers for that item and a program called Ilok License Manager which would apparently allow him to transfer his product license to various computers. (I imagine this is something music creators do when they go studio to studio or something)

Now his PC reboots on its own about every 20 minutes. It also Blue Screens occasionally, but not every time it reboots.

I have only helped him troubleshoot the problem over the phone and we didn't have luck fixing the issue. I have since gotten the PC from him and will be able to physically troubleshoot it later today, but I wanted to reach out to people smarter than I to see if we can get to the bottom of the issue.

What has been done so far:

1. Booted into safe mode. The computer was stable in safe mode for over an hour which, obviously, tracks with the fact that this is probably a software issue connected to either the drivers for the keyboard unit, or the Ilok program.

2. While in safe mode he uninstalled the drivers for the keyboard through control panel

3. In safe mode he tried to uninstall Ilok, but it didn't seem to work (again... I was not present. I was on the phone. He is 13 and very bright, but I'm not ready to completely take his word for what he was seeing. I should get a better handle on it later). He performed a standard boot and seemed to be able to uninstall that program. The uninstall process even prompted him to restart the computer as part of the process. After restart, however, the computer rebooted within bout 15 minutes.

4. In safe mode again, I had him download CCleaner to try to clean up the registry. He did this, but that didn't seem to solve the problem.

5. The Blue Screen references a "Service Exception" error. I have more experience with Windows 7 than 10, so the BSOD's are still new to me. (I know... I'm just an old man and don't always upgrade as soon as I should)

6. In safe mode - Ran a malwarebytes scan and found 27 items to quarantine and delete, but nothing stood out as a specifically connected problem. (He was able to run Malwarebytes out of safe mode, but the PC would reboot before the scan was complete, so safe mode was required to complete the process.

I went and picked up the PClate last night and will work on it today.

Things I don't know yet, but will find out later:

1. If there is a restore point I can go to - I don't know if he has been maintaining restore points or if the system has created restore points whenever a program is installed. fingers crossed.

2. If there is any HDD corruption - I have not yet run a CHKDSK of any kind on it.

3. I have never "reset" a Windows 10 PC so I don't know that process or how destructive it might be to data and programs. Is that an option? Would that help solvea problem like this?

4. I'm not sure if the "Service Exception" Error is a kind of generic error or something specific, so I can't speak intelligently about that.

As mentioned, I will be able to work on the pc in a few hours, around 6PM Eastern.

I just wanted to get a jump on ideas and have a plan in place.

Please let me know what ideas you all may have, and thank you in advance for all the wonderful help i know I will receive.

Dan

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

3. With Win 10, when you reset Windows, you are given the option to keep data or start
    completely fresh.

4. If you can reproduce the error, see if there is an error code. That would help a lot. You can google for 'service exception' and that code together.

That Malwarebytes found 27 items to remove is not a good sign. Some malware are very stubborn and have multiple ways to keep themselves alive, and Malwarebytes may have missed out one or two. If all else fails, download MS Media Creation Tool on your personal PC, run it to generate a Windows setup DVD or USB memory stick. And boot with it to do a Custom install, erasing all partitions along the way. That way, nothing will survive. A reset would still be relying on on-disk setup programs, is not as thorough as a Custom install.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!