1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spontanious reboots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hfund, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hfund

hfund Thread Starter

My new XP2100 plus starts rebooting itself after long periods.
    Is my CPU overheating?

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

It's certainly possible. Do you play a lot of graphics intensive games?

You can usually check your CPU's temps in the BIOS.

Normal idle temp should be about 45C. If it's over 50, you may need better cooling. Does your motherboard come with some sort of monitoring software? If not, you can download motherboard monitor 5.2 to keep an eye on your cpu/system temps, fan speeds, and voltages.

How strong is your power supply? Make sure its an AMD certified model. You can go to www.amd.com to check.

You may also want to get MemTest86 to check your RAM.

3. hfund

hfund Thread Starter

Motherboard has this feature but once it starts I can't keep it running long enough to check.
    I replaced my 1800+ with the 2100+ so everything has been running okay. I suspect I need better cooling and going to try that first. It only happens if I leave the machine on for several hours.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!