1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spoof emails

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by searchwest, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. searchwest

searchwest Thread Starter

I am getting a lot of "undelivered emails" which appear to have been sent by (random characters)@searchwest.com.au (my domain), which I did not send. I have a "blanket" email address with my ISP so I get all emails to (anything)@searchwest.com.au. I can probably restrict my blanket email policy with my ISP, but I am quite concerned that a lot of people around the world think that my small business is sending this spam. I have kept around 350 of these emails from postmasters and MAILER-DAEMONS, for reference. Many of them have header details. I believe that some of them have trojans and worms in them (eg Trojan.Packed.8, Trojan Peacomm, [email protected]). What can I do to stop these emails?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Well, we certainly hope you didn't send them .. !

Remember these cretins use stealthed SMTP programs on poorly secured servers, so it is not like you would see them in your outbox or even know if you had sent them.

I have tracked a few in the past (not from you) and by the IP address (if one can believe that part even) they have seemingly come from reputable company servers, possibly comprimised with the spammers implanted SMTP bots.

Talk to your ISP (iinet.net.au) in the first place, see what they say. Give them the header info.

3. searchwest

Thanks Kiwiguy. I called Tech Support at iinet.net.au and sent a few headers to them, weeks ago. The returned emails kept on coming. I also tried to "DNS reverse" the info in the headers and sent some emails to ISPs etc to tell them that they seemed to be involved, but no result. The trouble is that I don't really understand what the headers mean and how to trace the culprit/s. Also, I haven't got time to "re-invent the wheel" by learning in detail about the problem and the solution. It would be great if I could give copies of the emails to "the authorities" and have them take on the bad guys. I'll call iinet again and see what they can do. Thanks again.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I forward copies of spam, with full header information, to [email protected]

Don't know if it does any good, but I can always hope.

My guess, and I stress "guess," is that those emails did not originate from your computer(s); they are simply made to look that way in hopes you would click on an attachment and receive their nasty surpise.

From time to time I look at a dozen or so spams with full headers and try to come up with a filter that will allow me to delete them immediately or at least divert to a different folder.

5. searchwest

Thanks TerryNet. I'll try sending a few to [email protected] and see what happens. I'm pretty sure they did not come from my computer, as they started while I was on holiday and my computer and modem were off. Nobody else has access to my locked office.
    Last year I read about "fakemail", which can be sent to anyone, seemingly from anyone. I think the spammers must be using this.
    I'd like to find out who is sending these emails and ask their ISP to ban them from the net.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

When I bothered to look at sequential and similar emails, they were actually coming from different IP addresses (but they also may be fake?)

I think the spammers hit one server with a few hundred thousand, then move on. Hence they are hard to block.

Bring back the rope?.

7. searchwest

I agree with you kiwiguy. Nobody wants these stupid emails anyway. I wonder if many people fall for spam.
    I tried to trace some through http://www.spamcop.com/ and sent a few emails to ISPs, but I think that the spammers have faked the headers somehow.
    I also went to http://www.acma.gov.au/ (Aust Comms & Media Authority) and their advice is to ignore it and it will go away, "...after a few weeks". Maybe it will. I hope so.
    What a waste of so many people's time, and so much bandwidth, in reading and deleting spam, spreading viruses etc.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice