1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spook in my OE

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by spankyjo54, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spankyjo54

spankyjo54 Thread Starter

This has happened to me twice and I am wondering, just exactly what is going on. I make several folders below the IN Box of my OE for saved e-mails or important e-mails and one day I go in to find one and all the folders are gone. I know where the .dbx files are, they just don't show up on my OE. Soooooooooo, anybody got any idea whats up with OE? :confused:

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi spankyjo54

When is the last time you compacted messages?

Accessing the message store where the .dbx files are located, you can rename the Folders.dbx file to Folders.dbx.old.
    Do this with Outlook Express closed.

When Outlook Express is restarted, a new Folders.dbx file will be created which will reindex all .dbx files and you should see the folders appear in Outlook Express.
    Give Outlook Express a few minutes to open as the reindexing will take a few minutes. The more folders you have, the longer the process will take.

Let us know if that helps or not.

3. spankyjo54

Well, now all my saved e-mails are gone in OE. Just the ones in the in box, sent box, etc. Things I had not read yet and was going to get back to later. I wonder how much later that will be if not never.:

I thought I might add that a long time ago I saved some .bdx files in my C:/dbx files only now I notice there are two folders "Saved regular dbx files & Saved Regular dbx files OE.
    I also did a search for all dbx files in my computer, gads they are everywhere. I put the ones in the C/ with all the other folders, Windows, drivers, etc. I am baffled. :confused:

4. spankyjo54

I am going to try and send you a screen shot so you can see what I mean by all over. I took the long road"C\Documents and settings\guest\local settings\application data\ and you know what I'm talking about or rather where I am talking about.

Attached Files:

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

This occurred after renaming the Folders.dbx file?

Did you move .dbx files with the same names into the same message store, overwriting the previous .dbx files? :eek:

If you have more than one Identity in Outlook Express, each Identity has its own message store with its own default .dbx files: Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx, Sent Items.dbx, Drafts.dbx and Deleted Items.dbx files.

Perhaps you moved the .dbx files into the wrong message store?
    In Outlook Express:
    File > Identities > Manage Identities
    will show you how many Identities exist in Outlook Express. Each Identity has its own directory for its .dbx files.

To locate the directory for the Identity currently open in Outlook Express:
    Tools > Options > Maintenance tab > Store Folder

You will need to log off the current Identity and switch to another Identity to locate the correct path, for its message store, for each additional Identity.

6. spankyjo54

I found .dbx files all over the place when I did a search. And the change did take place
    after naming the files. Come to think of it, I only changed the name in the C:\ ,where there are now two dbx folders. One that I had changed< saved regular dbx files and saved regular dbx files OE. This last one is the most current date. I am really getting confused with all these dbx files. I will print out your instructions and try it and probably have a computer full of dbx files by the time I get done. And I think my cousin is "Computer Stupid"???
    As I recall, there should not be any .dbx files in tje C\ , right?
    I am assuming you mean changing identies as in going into my own folders C:\ Documents and Settings\My name instead of (\guest). yes? I have in my Documents and setting I have 5 folders. All users, Me, Image backup, (know thats suppose to be there), default user and guest. :confused: :confused: :eek:

7. spankyjo54

I just gave up and did a system restore and got the old ones back from last week but non that I had added this week. I deleted the dbx files in the C:\ area since I posted last, one more showed up. I had a total of three different folders in there with dbx files in them, names 1 & 2 etc.
    I just wonder what caused them to disappear in the first place. I have had this computer for 5years and never had that problem before. Really strange. Thanks for trying to help anyway.
    :D

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I don't know what might have happened to the dbx folder in the first place (need to look at size, date accessed, correct path, overwritten?) but just renaming to .old and starting OE doesn't create and index the folder with the messages in it does it? The way a computer usually works is all the emails are still in the .old folder and OE is just using a new empty .dbx folder.

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

:confused:

10. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

No...Identities not Windows User Accounts. :confused:

I posted the instructions to check for other identities, in post # 5.

Glad to hear you were able to sort it out. (y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice