1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spool/blue screen problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bubba_ferret, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bubba_ferret

bubba_ferret Thread Starter

Laptop - Sony Vaio VGN-A195EP
    OS - WIN XP PRO SP3 VERSION 2002

Hi everyone,

I would be grateful if somebody could lend some assistance please.

My Auntie has asked if would look at her laptop for her but I'm stumped. I know the basics about pc's but I'm struggling with this one. The laptop details are above.

She downloaded Canon Mp280 series Mp (? Not sure of details of what this is). Since the download she said she was unable to us her laptop due to spool errors.

Below are some steps I've taken to try to fix the problem but I may not have done them correctly.

1. When I received the laptop I switched on and it went straight to the blue screen after start up. This does this everytime.
    2. I started in safe mode and tried to uninstall the program which she had downloaded. I was unable to do this as it said that the Spool was not running. I was unable to start it in safe mode.
    2.5 I tried a system restore several times.
    3. I ran the only virus check which was on the laptop (malwarebytes) and nothing was detected.
    4. I managed to log on long enough in normal start-up to uninstall the Canon program but the problem continues.
    5. I've looked on several forums for help. I've tried deleting unrequired registers, printers & drivers and have reloaded xp SP3 from the Microsoft site, but no different.
    6. I would be happy to try a factory reset but I can't work out how to do it. I don't have the cd, F10 or alt F10 doesn't work on startup and there isn't a Sony Vaio recovery program. Can't find any way to do it.
    7. Tried booting in safe mode with networking but instantly get the blue screen so I have no internet access. Any downloads I have done has been through my phone then transferred. Not easy.

I've tried other things too but can't recall them all at the moment.

Does anybody have any suggestions please (safe mode is the only way I can log on).

Thanks

2. bubba_ferret

If somebody would be able to point me in the direction of a website which might be able to help, I'd be equally grateful.

Thanks

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Go to Start, Run and type in services.msc. In the list of Services find Print Spooler. Verify/ensure the Print Spooler type is Automatic and is started. If it isn't, double click on the line for it, then on the Properties window click Dependencies. One will be Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

Look in the list of services for each of the dependent services to see if they are started. Let us know what you find.

Also, has this computer ever had a Lexmark printer attached that you know of?

4. bubba_ferret

Thanks for the reply.

Print spooler
    Startup type: Automatic

When try to start get error msg:
    Could not start the print spooler service on local computer.
    Error 1084: this service cannot be started in safe mode.

I can only log on in safe mode.

Only dependency are RPC, I have seen Lexmark in there before though.

There werent any printers installed (other than the Canon mentioned above if that's what it is?) Although I did see evidence of a Lexmark printer driver in the registry before I deleted it.

Thanks again.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

6. bubba_ferret

I've gone into the services and disabled the lexbce server & print spooler (both were stopped but disabled anyway).

Ran sc config spooler depend= RPCSS

Didn't seem to do anything (does this work in safe mode?).

Had another look in services and print spool was still disabled.

Tried normal start up and still instant blue screen. I've tried logging on about 20 times and eventually had long enough to open 'services' in the normal OS. Saw that the print spool was running then got blue screened again.

Must be something as well as this issue.

Thanks for your patience.

7. bubba_ferret

It looks like it only blue screens when the mains power is plugged in.

Does that ring any bells with anybody?

Thanks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice