1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spool32.exe errors

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lionelbeck, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lionelbeck

lionelbeck Thread Starter

I can see these errors are experienced by many users, and I have studied all the available threads and tried most of the suggested solutions. My problem started when I installed a new Epson Photo R220 (which was fine and worked properly). I then plugged in my old Epson C80 printer to my wife's PC then set up the required network connection to share the printer if required. Following that I started to get the following Spool32 error message when I booted up:

SPOOL32 caused a stack fault in module ADVAPI32.DLL at 017f:bfe814db.
    Registers:
    EAX=00e92038 CS=017f EIP=bfe814db EFLGS=00010212
    EBX=000000d1 SS=0187 ESP=00e92000 EBP=00e9200c
    ECX=8e8ecb14 DS=0187 ESI=8e7ec6b4 FS=0dcf
    EDX=00001000 ES=0187 EDI=00e92038 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    57 ff 15 d4 d0 e8 bf 85 c0 74 07 b8 57 00 00 00
    Stack dump:
    00000004 bfe814d1 8e7ec6b4 00e92040 7fab27d6 80000002 7fac5b60 00000000 00020019 00e92038 bff773a9 8e7ec6b4 000000d1 00e92274 bff773a9 8e7ec6b4

Knowing that Spool32.exe doesn't have to be loaded on start-up (it can just sit there waiting to be called) I unchecked it in the msconfig start-up list. This results in the PC starting up without error, but if I go into Settings..Printers dialogue box so that I can delete the Epson C80 connection, I've only got to point to and select the C80 icon and this immediately causes the Spool32 error. (It's always the same error - the one shown above). Once that has happened the dialogue is frozen and I need to use Ctrl-Alt-Del to end the task. On returning to my desktop I find all my icons have been re-arranged at random and my auto-hide taskbar has been returned to permanent visibility.

I wonder if anyone recognises what is happening here, and what can be done about it.

Thanks.

2. sammysosa

sammysosa

WHICH computer is causing these problems? Do they happen to your system, with the new photo printer, or do they happen to your wife's system, with the old printer?

You've mentioned sharing a printer, but which printer is being shared? Are you sharing the photo printer with both systems, are you sharing the old printer with both systems, or are you sharing BOTH printers with BOTH systems?

You use CTRL-ALT-DEL to "end the task"; though it is good to know you still have that level of control available after this problem occurs, WHICH task are you ending? Is it something related to printer SHARING, or printing, or installing a printer, SPOOL32.EXE, or something else entirely?

You gave us a LOT of detail in your original post, which was outstanding, but as you can see, we need to know even MORE before we can help you. Does the problem occur when the systems are NOT networked together? If not, then the problem must somehow be connected to sharing the printers; booting the systems normally MUST mean that SPOOL32.EXE is loading at startup on ONE system, because you only DISABLED it on one system. Therefore, if SPOOL32.EXE is the process you are killing through CTRL-ALT-DEL, then you should disable it on BOTH systems, and see what happens. Try it with the systems running as standalone computers (NOT networked), then again with the computers networked normally; make good notes, and report your findings here, so we can all sit and ponder this for a while. Odds are good that the collective mind will be able to make some helpful suggestions.

When you've done that (disconnected both systems from the network and disabled SPOOL32.EXE), can you highlight the C80 icon and remove the old printer without experiencing any errors, or do you get the same error message? If you CAN successfully remove the C80 printer from the system, what happens when you re-enable SPOOL32.EXE? What happens when you restore the network connections?

I realize I'm asking a LOT of questions, but networking those systems and enabling printer sharing complicates this by an order of magnitude, which is why I'd like to know what happens when you simplify things.

Also, check this link to see if anything there rings a bell:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191949

We don't know which OS you're using on which system, so please answer my questions, tell us which OS each system is running, tell us what happens when you disable SPOOL32.EXE on both systems when they're networked and when they're not... you get the idea.

Fill in the blanks for us, and let's see if we can figure this out logically. Good luck; ask any questions you might have, and keep us posted on your progress...

3. lionelbeck

Thank you for the response. I am using Windows 98 SE, my wife's is Windows XP. We have disabled the sharing facility on my wife's printer and also closed her system down. I have also uninstalled my own new printer. Therefore my PC has no apparent connection with any printer at all right now.

The task I am trying to end with Ctrl-Alt-Del is to close the "Settings/Printers" dialogue box, because the box freezes each time the Spool32 error occurs, and the error occurs merely through selecting the icon for the "remote" printe in an attempt to delete it. Once I have closed by "ending the task" I find my desktop icons rearranged randomly and my (hidden) task bar reverted to permanent visibility.

The short answer to "which process are you killing with Ctrl-Alt-Del?" is, as far as I can see, the process of closing the dialogue box.

The short answer to "can you highlight the C80 icon with Spool32 not loaded at start-up and no network?" is NO. As soon as I highlight the icon, this obviously calls on Spool32 in anticipation of it being required, and therein lies the problem.

I looked at the MS link and have tried some of their solutions. I have one (possibly fatal) problem and that is - I am not in possession of a Windows 98 installation disk. The outfit that built my computer 5 years ago did not provide me with one, and in my ignorance at that time was not aware this was significant. The firm has since folded.

To summarise, I cannot highlight the C80 remote printer icon, under all the conditions you mention.

Best wishes.

4. sammysosa

sammysosa

Thanks for the update...

Try to make this repair from Safe Mode, and let us know what happens. If you encounter the same problem (with the system error message), then reboot into Safe Mode, and remove any OTHER printers listed FIRST (if Windows will actually allow you to remove them from within Safe Mode; I don't think I've ever tried that), rebooting after you uninstall each one. I realize that rebooting will be time-consuming, but it is the best way to eliminate any straggler files that might be causing this...

If trying to remove ANY of the printing devices (including fax machines, generic printers, etc.) causes problems, let us know; you will probably have a REAL fight on your hands then...

Remove ALL of the printing devices (in Safe Mode, if possible), then reboot normally, and try to reinstall the new printer. If you're lucky, Windows won't cough up any more furballs, and this problem will be history.

Good luck; let us know how this turns out. The details you provide should point us in the right direction, if these steps don't produce the desired results...

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you are printing to a network printer and getting spool errors, one quick solution is just set up the networked printer to print directly to the printer rather than spooling in the first place.

6. lionelbeck

Thank you sammysosa. Bad news I'm afraid: I tried Safe Mode and went into "Settings/Printers". There were four icons - the "Add Printer" icon, and three other printers (one of which was the troublesome Epson C80). I successfully removed two of the printers, re-booting each time in Safe Mode, and this left me with the C80. When I right-clicked on it to delete it I got the Spool32 error message (same details as shown on my original post here) and the dialogue window froze. Ctrl-alt-del required as before to close it. A local computer techie is calling in Thursday night to try and help, though he doesn't sound exactly sound full of confidence. I will report progress, but meanwhile, if you have any other ideas I'd be happy to try them!

7. lionelbeck

Thank you Bob - I will bear in mind the non-spooling idea as a last resort.

8. sammysosa

sammysosa

First, boot directly into DOS; hold down the CTRL key once the system begins to POST, which will give you the Startup Menu; choose "COMMAND PROMPT ONLY.

Next, type this command at the C: prompt:

CD \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\

and press ENTER. The C: prompt should now look like this:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM>

Now, type this at the prompt:

RENAME SPOOL32.EXE SPOOL32.OLD

and press Enter. You won't see much happen, though you should notice that the prompt increments with a blank line, and shows you the prompt again.

Next, type this:

DIR *.OLD

and press Enter. You should see this on the screen:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.OLD

If that happens, you will have successfully renamed SPOOL32.EXE to SPOOL32.OLD. Renaming it will prevent it from being loaded by Windows, and with any luck, you should be able to reboot into Safe Mode to remove that printer; just press CTRL-ALT-DEL, or the Reset button to reboot the system, but remember to use the same technique (hold down the CTRL key during POST as the system reboots) to access Safe Mode.

Let us know if renaming SPOOL32.EXE to SPOOL32.OLD solves the problem (you can always change it back to SPOOL32.EXE later), or if you get a different error message, or if something else entirely different happens.

Good luck; I hope this allows you to delete that last printer...

9. lionelbeck

My thanks for all the helpful comments, which were also passed on to a computer technician who called at my house last week to solve my problems. The DOS susbstitution of Spool32.old for Spool32.exe didn't work, because as soon as we tried to re-install my new printer at some stage the installation tried to make a call on Spool32.exe and then threw in the towel. My friendly "tekkie" then spent 5 hours(!) trying a variety of magical tricks - many of which passed my by since I wasn't with him all the time - and some which I didn't understand anyway. There was a lot of frantic halting of programs during booting up, until there came a time when he managed to "force" the printer and driver on to my system.

The good news is that I can now use my printer.:) The bad news is that I cannot add a new printer or network with my wife's printer, because any excursion into the world of Settings/Printers for any reason regurgitates the Spool32 error and partial crash (as also does any attempt to use the Epson "Print CD" function.:mad:

Ending on a positive note, my technician told me he operated a policy of "no fix - no fee", and since he had only achieved a partial fix, he charged me a big fat ZERO for 5 hours' work. So I gave him a couple of bottles of wine.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

And configuring the network printer to print directly to the printer rather than spool didn't work either?

11. lionelbeck

Bob, thanks for your enquiry. Re your query as to whether I've tried configuring the printer for direct printing rather than spooling, all I can say is that if I want a sure-fire way of releasing the Spool32 Demon:eek: on to my computer again all I would have to do would be to mention the word "configure" within 6 ft of it!

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I also have an updated spoolss.dll file which sometimes can solve the problem. But it sounds like you want to not make many changes at this point.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice