1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spooler subsystem problems with laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dougsilver, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dougsilver

dougsilver Thread Starter

I have a laptop with WinXP. I have a network in the office and one at home--I use an SMC card with the laptop to connect to either one. I have been getting "Spooler Subsystem App has encountered a problem and needs to close" consistently but I think I tracked down the "why" but I could use some advice. If I go to "printers a faxes" in control panel, it shows the printer at work (HP2200) and the one at home (HPLaserjet4). Of course depending on where I am, at least one of these printers will not be found. At about the same time that "unable to connect" appears under the printer name (e.g., the HPLaserjet4 when I am at work), the "spooler subsystem" error will pop up and turn off the printspooler service. At that point, all printers are useless so I have to restart the printspooler service. It almost immediately shuts down again once it does not find the printer.

I tried disabling "automatically search for network folders and printers" in control panel/appearance and themes/folder options but that did not really help.

I have to assume that there are thousands of folks out there that use a laptop at multiple locations, each with different printers. So how do you avoid getting a printspooler crash when XP does not find a particular printer?

Thanks,

Doug

2. dougsilver

Anyone?!?!

3. alan.1

alan.1

4. dougsilver

I long ago solved the problem--I erroneously set up a printer that was on the network using Win98 drivers rather than the WinXP drivers. Once I removed the printer and all associated entries in various directories and then reinstalled the printer correctly, the problem was gone. Thanks anyway.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice