1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SPOOLSV.EXE and Memory error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by charlief, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charlief

charlief Thread Starter

All of a sudden I can't print, or get to my printers settings - when I boot-up ( win2000) I get a box with the following : SPOOLSV.EXE Application error
    The instruction at "0x100019ff" referenced memory at "0x00000056". The memory could not be "read".
    Check OK to terminate, check CANCEL to Debug. Neither of which allow me to get to my Printer settings. Running on IBM PC 350. ( I have seen a few other instances of this type of memory "read" error sice using Win2000, never saw it under W98.

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Have you tried uninstalling the printer and then reinstalling it?

To manually uninstall the printers go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers and delete the key that has your printers name in it. Reboot and then see if you can reinstall the printer.

Have you installed bitware recently? There is a bug in Bitware that makes it incompatable with Win2k.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q257859

3. charlief

charlief Thread Starter

I went into the Registry as you suggested and the printer was not listed. Also, no evidence of Bitware, anywhere. What's troubling is, while the error box is still active ( I hadn't replied OK or CANCEL) I went in to SETTINGS-PRINTERS and it showed my printer as STATUSof DELETING , I can't get rid og it !!. Then I went and tried a new INSTALL, got totheFINISH, but it said PRINT PROCESSSOR DOES NOT EXIST. Does this help ? Doesn't sound good. Can I somehow just go and reinstall SPOOLSV ??

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Try installing Service Pack 2 for Windows 2000. I know that it was supposed to fix a lot of printing problems.

Also, check the event log and see if there is an event ID for the printing problem.

5. charlief

charlief Thread Starter

Where do I get the Service Pack 2, MS support page, I suppose/hope ?
    And Event Log ? I'm not familiar with that. I'll try those tips tomorrow and let you know the results,
    Thanks,

6. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Tolook at the event viewer, right click my computer and select manage. When it opens up there will be an option for event viewer. There are three catagories there and the two that could have that info are application and system.

You can get the service pack from windows update. It is a very large update, so I hope you have a high speed line. If not, you might could find somebody that has a high speed connection that also has a cd burner and could get it for you. This thing is a little over 100 megs.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp2/sp2lang.asp

7. charlief

charlief Thread Starter

I was finally somehow able to delete my oldprinter in device manager, I did the Windows Fixpack upgrade, then tried to re-nstall a new printer. Got all the way to the end, Finish, tried to print test page and it I'm missing a Print Processor . Can't figure out where to install it from. Also, from the event log see below -
    WMI ADAP was unable to load the winspool.drv performance library due to an unknown problem within the library: 0x0
    Could this be it ??

8. charlief

charlief Thread Starter

No need to send any more time on this one, somehow I got it to work, but unfortunately I can't tell you exactly how. I was in Computer management, then I added the printer to PT2, and tried to send some files to the printer, but the Printer statussaid PRINTING, but they weren't printing. So then I deleted the printer from LPT2 and added it it LPT1 port again and I couldn't belive it, I was able to print. If you could, could you still explain what the errors were from the Event Log in my preceding Post, and also, I thought I used to have two Printer Port types before all this started - EPP and ECP. How can I add EPP back ?
    Once again, thanks for helping me out.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice