1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sporadic audio stuttering/buzzing, source is elusive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MysteryMachine, Nov 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MysteryMachine

MysteryMachine Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm posting in the Windows forum because the exact source of the issue is unknown. If we come up with a more precise cause I would be happy to move the discussion to the appropriate forum.

The problem is a brief sporadic stuttering or digitization noise (very similar to some elements of dubstep music actually). It sounds like a quarter-second of audio is repeated at high speed and then it goes back to normal. This happens with variable frequency; sometimes once every minute or two, sometimes as long as 45 minutes between occurences. The frequency seems at least partially dependent on the graphical output being used, but it's hard to tell for sure. The problem is quite immersion-breaking, and it extends to all uses (local music, streaming, gaming, movies, everything). I suspect that the entire computer (not just the audio) may be pausing/stuttering along with it, because sound effects never get desynced with video; for example when people are talking in movies their lips never get out of sync with their voices, despite the audio pausing while it stutters.

This problem started about 3 weeks ago, and I had not made any hardware or software changes that I am aware of.

Possible solutions I have already tried, without effect:
    New GPU (same model as old one)
    New PSU (same model as old one)
    Disconnecting HDMI
    Running only 2 monitors
    Adjust NVIDIA settings for performance not quality
    Rolling back GPU drivers twice to different versions, then updating
    Moving TV antenna away from power cords
    Plugging into different section of power strip
    Use alternate audio jack
    Use alternate audio equipment (Stereo, wireless headphones, wired headphones)
    Turn microphone off to ensure no interference/feedback
    Disable unused audio driver for an old program (Screaming Bee)
    Attempt to update primary audio driver (it was up to date already, most recent version was 2012 RealTek)
    Software based RAM test (no errors)
    Software based burn test for CPU, GPU, SSD, HDD etc (no errors)
    New Power Strip
    Different Outlet

My machine is a Windows 7 HP Pavilion Elite HPE 480t with some hardware modifications:

Windows 7 64 bit
    Samsung Evo 840 SSD (OS and some programs)
    Seagate ST3000 (Storage)
    9 GB RAM
    Intel i7 930 CPU
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 TI, 3 monitors
    LAN internet connection
    Pegatron Motherboard, exact model unknown
    Corsair CX500 PSU

I would love to find a solution to this problem, any help is very much appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!