1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sporadic router problems.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lh4life2005, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lh4life2005

Lh4life2005 Thread Starter

currently using a dsl modem with a linksys wireless g router and my PC has a linksys wireless g adapter.

ive had this setup since January and it worked pretty well for a while, but i started having a problem keeping a stable connection of late. it works about 90% of the day, but will occasionally kick me off the internet. my pc wireless adapter tells me that i have full green bars with an excellent connection and all the correct modem lights are on, but i cant bring up a web page or do anything else on the internet. i direct connected my modem to my pc with a long Ethernet cord for the time being trying to narrow down the problem, and its been working fine for now so im guessing something is wrong with my router. i cant find a direct pattern for when the internet disconnects are happening but it seems to be happening more during the night time, but there really arent any different variables going on during the night time and the day time that i can think of (disconnects are happening during the afternoon also though). im thinking maybe that my router needs to be somehow synchronized with my modem perhaps? but ive used this router with a couple different internet providers and never really had to do much synchronizing. i had the thought of restoring the router back to factory settings, but i dont have the cd that came with the router. ive set up a decent amount of wireless connections in my day and ive seen a lot of problems but i just dont understand why my adapter program is telling me i have an excellent connection on the pc side even when i cant do anything on the internet.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi.Two things to try:
    Change the wireless channel being used(1/6/11 in US)
    Download/install current firmware from the router maker's web site.
    A router reset should not require the cd.If you are going to go that route:
    Make sure that you know the default userid/password.
    Make sure that you know what the current router config is so that after the reset you can re-configure the router back to it's current config.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can also try an ethernet connection to the router. That should determine whether this is just a router issue or just a wireless issue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice