1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sporadic shutdowns

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nelson47, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nelson47

nelson47 Thread Starter

Hi,

my computer sometimes shuts down without any apparent reason. When this happens, the screen turns black and neither ctrl+alt+del or pressing the "reset" button on the computer helps. I have to shut down using the "hard" switch on the back of the computer, wait for a while (a few minutes) and start the computer again.

These "shutdowns" are sporadic and I haven't been able to trace any pattern in their occurence. Sometimes it happens when I'm in windows and sometimes it happens when rebooting the computer (while checking the RAM).

Since I first encountered this problem I have replaced my hard-drive, fearing it was the cause, but I still have the same problem.

Someone who knows what may be the cause?
    Thank you in advance!

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Hmm..you said: I have to shut down using the "hard" switch on the back of the computer

You mean the black switch on the power supply?

Try this..
    In Windows, go to Display Properties > Screen Saver > Power and make sure
    1. Turn off hard disks
    2. System standby
    3. System hibernates
    Are set to Never.

Also check your BIOS and disable any type of power management.

Make sure the fan on your CPU is working properly. If not, you could be having a overheating issue.

If you still have the same problems, then you may need a new power supply.

Have you added any new hardware to the system recently? Things like high end video cards suck up a lot of power.

Good luck.

3. nelson47

nelson47 Thread Starter

Thank you for you quick response. I have disabled all power management in windows and BIOS.

yes... by the "hard" button I meant to the black switch on the power supply.

I have not added any hardware recently, apart from the harddrive. So that shouldn't be the problem... although sometimes the fan on the powersupply makes a lot of noise.

One question: How do I know of the CPU-fan is working properly?

4. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Most likely the power supply is over heating. I would suggest replacing it ASAP.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice