1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sporadic Startup Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Will_T, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will_T

Will_T Thread Starter

Once every 3 to 6 startups, XP will freeze on a blank, dark, screen after the progress bar that also says starting windows. The only way to get out is to hold the power button. Usually XP will start the next time. Maybe once out of 20 times it takes two attempts to start correctly. This is nn my 2nd HP laptop this issue has been going on for about a year. Running XP Pro with 1gb memory. This laptop is 4 years old.

Figuring it was a Windows issue, this weekend I formatted and reinstalled XP. Complete, not a repair or anything. Brand new and then all updates including SP3. Now the only thing reinstalled on the computer is OS, Office 2003, and Avast. I figured I was all set and good to go. Not.

Today the new install did the same hang on startup. Held down the power button to reset it and then chose "Normal" startup from the menu and it started OK.

So obviously it was not a 4 year old install of XP that was the issue. I am thinking it might be hardware related as the computer is so clean at this point.

Does anyone have any ideas what to look at next?

Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice