1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sportster 14400 Fax Modem probs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aquarian3, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aquarian3

Aquarian3 Thread Starter

You have all been really helpful in the past so I'm hoping someone will have a solution to this one!!!!

My friend has a Sportster 14400 Fax modem made by US Robotics. It's giving me a 692 error hardware failure in modem, either not installed or connected properly. I've looked at MS's site and apparently these modems do give these errors but a new driver installed should fix the error.

Now it is connected and not loose so I went hunting for drivers for it to work with 2000 Pro. On the US Rob' site it's asking for a blinkin product code - guess what this card doesn't have! I've written down all the numbers on the card and will post here:

That's it! Now on their site they reckon you get the product code from the serial number, yet nothing on their site resembles the number above. I've emailed them and 4 days on still haven't had a reply.

In the meantime I've d/l'd a few other drivers from their site but they don't seem to work. I've tried the Win2000 CD drivers but they won't work either so I'm at a loss.

I did get some strings to type into the modem properties area, InitStrings and AnswerInit strings but in the modem area's there's only one bit where you can type in a string so I'm not sure if I should be typing the InitString or the AnswerInit, they both won't fit in.

Thank you in advance if anyone can help with this problem, she's dying to try the internet out and has never been online before - I know she'll be hooked once she gets going!!!!

Lisa
    -X-

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you using the correct cable for it? Did this modem work prior on her computer?

3. Aquarian3

Aquarian3 Thread Starter

Hi ya,

Thanks for the reply :) Well, I finally got the modem to work but it's saying now there's no dialling tone, so I unticked the box to wait and the modem started dialling up - excellent!!! But there really is no dialling tone. She gave me the modem wire to check in my computer and it's working, from the modem wire she has another extension to the plug socket, I checked the extension with her house phone and it's picking up a dialling tone, so somethings wrong between the extension and the modem wire I'm using right now. Strange?

MS's help within Windows said to get the phone line checked if there's no dialling tone so I'm wondering if she should do that? But her home phone is picking up the line so why not the modem wire? Have you come across this before?

Thank you so much again,

Lisa
    -X-

4. ~Candy~

Ok, not following you on the wires, plugs and extensions. Is there some time of adapter on the cable coming off the modem before it attaches to the computer?

Can you check the modem at your house?

5. dzones

dzones

I hate to be a bad news type of guy but your friends just needs to break down and go buy a modem. There are only a handful of internet providers that will even work with a modem that is a 14.4 The speed would be so slow it would time out on almost every page.
    You also mention you are looking for a driver for win 2000 pro. Chances are there is not even one made for that OS. the modem came out many years before the operating system.

You can get a new modem for as little as 10 dollars online or 20 dollars from your local store.

Dave

6. ~Candy~

Actually you can get one free after rebate every once in a while.

7. Aquarian3

Aquarian3 Thread Starter

Hi all,

Well, thanks once again for the other suggestions it's interesting reading what you think!

I called BT to check her phone line, after checking her wires at my house. It seems that there is a fault with her line and BT asked me to open the plug socket box in the house and remove an extension to an upstairs junction box. Talk about do their work for them LOL. I don't mind and if it means my mate can get online then all the better.

Anyway, thank you again for all your replies, your all very kind :)

Lisa
    -X-

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice