1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

spot in pic help

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by wilson44512, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wilson44512

wilson44512 Thread Starter

was taking pictures at Lake Erie. and when i down loaded them to my PC. they had this spot. on the right side. it is in all of them. some you can see better then others. its a Nikon L3
    i had this camera for more then a year. could it be the lens or the sensor doing it? and is it worth fixing? and i made sure the outside of the lens is cleaned

Attached Files:

2. slipe

slipe

That doesn’t look to me like a sensor fault. It definitely isn’t a hot or dead pixel, which is usually what happens to the sensor. And I doubt the processor would do that.

Since you are sure the outside is clean I would guess something got inside in the light path. It can be a bear to get those things apart. Most of mine have come apart with a jeweler’s driver with a Phillips head, but there always seem to be wires connecting the parts. You might try some canned air if you can’t live with the spot. Of course there is the danger of getting something out of alignment, so be gentle.

You could probably replace it with something new for the price of taking it to a shop. I see new L3s online for $100 delivered, and you aren’t likely to get a technician to take it apart for that. Try the canned air before replacing it since you would have nothing to lose.

3. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    I would bet a weeks pay it's dust on the sensor. I use a Canon 100 - 400 IS lens and because it's a push/pull type of focus it has a bad habit of sucking in dust and the spots you see are the result. You could use a clone tool to eliminate the spot during PP or you could take it apart if you feel up to it. Once apart there is a system I follow to clean the sensor and if your interested I'll try and find a link. If it were mine I would just clone the one spot out.

4. slipe

slipe

If it was dust on the sensor it would make a small black spot. That it is large and blurred indicates to me that it is most likely on the light path somewhere before the sensor. Hopefully it isn’t up inside some moveable element in the zoom but on the base of the lens.

5. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Not meaning to argue slipe but that spot is exactly what I see when I get dust on my sensor. I will admit it is larger than anything I've ever seen on my stuff though. After I clean the sensor the spot(s) are no longer there until the next time...... which in my opinion come to quick. It's the price I gotta pay. I would bet I have some on it now so I'll run a test and post the result. Gimme a few minutes.

6. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    I'm very surprised. I only have one spot and it's very, very small. I shot a pic of the blue sky and converted it to greyscale. Then I cropped the dickens out of it and this is what I have. You might have to download the pic and view it in your photo editor but it is there. In most cases there are more and they are quite a bit larger. With the naked eye you will not see them on the sensor.

Attached Files:

7. slipe

slipe

I can’t argue with hard evidence. If you are cleaning the sensor to remove the spots and not cleaning the back of the lens at the same time it is obviously dust causing that amorphous glob in the image. Or if the globs appear in the same place with other lenses it must be on the sensor.

After spending a lifetime of having a bag full of SLR gear I have stuck with advanced small sensor digital cameras. So my experience with dust has been limited to friend’s DSLRs and posts with examples of dust on a sensor. What I have seen from friend’s cameras and posts is similar to the first example I was able to dig up. The dust on the sensor made a much more definable image.

I’m not one of those idiots who start posts to explain that an advanced small sensor camera takes photos that are just as good as a DSLR. I’m one of those idiots too lazy to schlep the gear. Photoshop with a small sensor image can give a nice result. But Photoshop plus a DSLR is usually better.

Attached Files:

8. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy

If it's dust on the sensor... being a non slr... then it's a pretty poor design unless wilson has been in a dust storm in the desert somewhere

what have I missed... is this a DSLR I have not seen?

9. slipe

slipe

There was a big problem with the Sony P200 getting dust into the lens. There were enough people reporting the problem I don’t think they were all contestants in the Baja 500. The results were similar to the blob Wilson is getting. So it is possible to make a non-DSLR that has a dust problem.

10. Sushifiend

Sushifiend

When searching for spots, defocus completely and stop down the aperture all the way. They will become more defined.

11. wilson44512

wilson44512 Thread Starter

its a nikon L3. i juts remember that 4 month after i bought this camera. i had to send it back. because the lens was making a loud noise. when i zoomed in or out. they fixed it. i wonder if thats has any thing to do with it? when i get a chance i will try to find some older pics i took with it. and see if i see any spots.

[​IMG]

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice