1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spotty connection, slow speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FDT, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FDT

FDT Thread Starter

Hi,

Up until two days ago, my laptop was working fine. It is a Lenovo Y530 running Windows 7.

I stayed at a hotel over the weekend. They had open wireless that then required I enter the hotel's weekly username and password. It worked fine the first night.

The second night it stopped working. I was unable to connect successfully; I would connect, and then I would receive the "Unidentified Network" with a yellow hazard triangle in the wireless menu.

I assumed it had something to do with the hotel. But when I returned home, I could not connect to either of my home networks, or a neighbor's connection.

This morning I connected via ethernet, and looked for solutions. The only change I made was to flush DNS. When I removed the ethernet connection, I was able to connect via Wifi.

That only lasted a couple minutes before my connection dropped. Now it disconnects and reconnects every couple of minutes.

I opened my laptop up to see if there were any loose wires connecting to the wireless adapter - I had been running around with my laptop in a backpack the day before - but there weren't any issues.

Some other symptoms are that I can sometimes only see a fraction of the available networks at once; I know there are many wireless networks around my house (~12), but sometimes I can only see three or five. Also, a speedtest used to give ~20/5 download/upload, but I now am receiving .23/.14. Most alarming is that I can sometimes only see one of my own home networks at a time, both of which I receive five bars for.

Are there any reasons this should be happening? Any fixes I can try?

Thanks,
    David

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What firewall or security suite?

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver--from Lenova's web site if an integrated adapter. If you already have the latest driver use Device Manager to uninstall it; reboot and let Windows discover the adapter and reinstall the driver.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. FDT

FDT Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,

I am runnning Avast Antivirus with Comodo Firewall. Both are the free versions.

I have the latest driver, and so uninstalled and rebooted. Windows reinstalled the driver, and the problem remained.

I then followed the TCP/IP stack repair options, and am still having the problem.

I've also since noticed that though I can get spotty connection with my 2.4 ghz channel, I cannot connect whatsoever to my 5 ghz channel.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm suspecting a dying wireless adapter. I believe you've already checked for loose antenna connections. In case the adapter's contacts are corroded remove and reinsert it several times.

5. FDT

FDT Thread Starter

Gave it a shot, no change.

I was hoping it wasn't hardware related, but it looks like I've got to face that.

Thanks for the help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1044786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice