1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Spotty Download Speeds Across Devices

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sirduffy4242, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sirduffy4242

sirduffy4242 Thread Starter

Alright, so. I have been using my main desktop for a while. To connect to the internet, I have a WiFi transmitter downstairs next to my modem and router, and a WiFi receiver next to my desktop. I tested it with a couple different online speed test, and got about 7 Mbps Down (Ping: 19). Now, using the same internet connection setup, on my laptop, I get about 25 Mbps Down (Ping: 18). On my desktop I get a solid 800Kbps down on a steam download, while on my laptop I get about 1.5 Mbps.

Is there anyway to make my download speed (Desktop) on steam more closely match the download speed shown on my laptops speed test?

DirectX Diagnostic

MsInfo32

AS-SSD (Read and Write speed. The 4k speeds were agonizingly slow; I gave up.)

Already Tried:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Disabling Avast
    • Adding an Exception in Avast
    • Making sure steam had No Limit set as the download speed.
    • Checking download region on steam
    • Went down Steam's list of known programs to cause problems with downloads

Possible Solutions:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Maybe Steam is seeing the read and write speed of my hard drive and then throttling download speed accordingly?
    • Some Issue with Windows 10? (Both Devices are Windows 10, so probably not)
    • Some Issue with a program on my computer?

P.S. I will be going to bed soon. I will check back when I wake up.
    P.S.S This site looks awesome, If this pulls through, I will definitely be using this more often.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    It may be a driver issue. try installing the latest wireless card driver. I used to do tech support for Comcast and had MANY people call in for this kind of issue. All of the different wireless cards are going to give different speeds. The only way to get the SAME speed EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME is with a Ethernet connection. There's lots of things that can cause wireless signal interference. It could be limited by the router or by the wireless card in the computer. If youre using an N or AC router but only have a G or N adapter youre going to get slower speeds.

One thing I can tell you is that most people think that wireless will cover their whole home, IT DOESN'T. A wireless router is ONLY going to transmit a wireless signal on one level of the home with the most power as you move above (to an upstairs) or below (basement, etc.) you are going to drastically lose your wifi signal strength and along with it, your bandwidth and then your speeds suffer. The BEST way to get good coverage on more than one level is to use a wireless range extender. Make sure that the extender you buy is on the same technology level as the router so the extender wont be yet another limiting factor.

3. sirduffy4242

I have no idea how to update drivers for my wireless card. I decided to test my signal on my floor compared to the groud floor using my Ethernet adapter wireless bridge thing. On the ground floor, I got 22 Mbps. On my floor, one floor above it, I got 26 Mbps. (All using this, just moving it and my laptop around. I also use it with my desktop.) At my house, I sit right above my router. Given this, I don't believe interference is an issue. How can I tell if I have an N or AC router or whatever? What is a G or N adapter? Does that apply to this?

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Open the device manager. Double click network adapter. Right click on the wireless one. Select update driver.

No that's a powerline kit.

You will have to look under device manager to see if yours is an N or an AC

5. sirduffy4242

Here are the devices with drivers that I checked to be sure they were up to date. Turns out they were. I didn't see anything about N or AC. Thank you for trying to help me figure this out, I am very greatful.

6. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Under device manager go to network adapters and EXPAND THE LISTING/CATEGORY so everything is visible. Post a screenshot here of that window. FWIW, I use the windows snipping tool to take a screenshot. Then just post that image into your reply.

7. sirduffy4242

Here you go

8. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Is this the desktop? The one that's connected via Ethernet? Does this computer HAVE a wifi card installed into it?

9. sirduffy4242

Yes, this is the desktop. It is connected via the Powerline kit, so yes, via an ethernet cable. It does not have a wifi card installed.

10. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Ok. One thing you could do....

Physically move the computer closer to the router and connect it direct to the router and see if the speeds change. If so then you know the powerline kit is affecting the speeds.

11. sirduffy4242

I will do that with my laptop, but to move my desktop and try that, that would take forever, I have everything cable managed. It would take about 3 hours. Going to try it now. Alright, I got about a stable 3 Mbps on a Steam download with it rising and peaking at 7 Mbps on steam. :) I think the wireless (as it would be on most devices) is effecting it, but there is not much I can do about that. This still doesn't explain why I get acceptable download speeds on my laptop, but not my desktop, as they were both using the same powerline kit for internet when I tested it. Any other ideas?

12. sirduffy4242

Alright, so, I have no idea if I did anything or if my computer was just acting up, (It has been doing this for a while, so I probably did something.) but it is now working just fine. Peaking at 3.9 Mbps on a steam download, and pretty much staying at 2.5 Mbps, it seems that it has been resolved for now. Thank you so much for trying to help me out with this issue, I have definitely learned a fair bit. I will marked this as solved as well. Thank you so much again!

metallica5456 likes this.
  13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice