1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spreadsheet gridlines

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bj25, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj25

bj25 Thread Starter

Hello,
    Using a spreadsheet in Microsoft Works and I want to eliminate the grid lines in the upper part but preserve the grid lines in the lower part. How do I accomplish this? There is data in both sections.
    Thank you,
    bj25

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

If it works anything like Excel, you are looking for "borders"...either on the toolbar or under Format.

Highlight the area you want bordered then choose the border that looks like a four-paned window (or a square made up of four squares).

Hope this helps,

MBN

3. bj25

bj25 Thread Starter

MBN,
    I tried highlighting and using borders but that didn't eliminate the gridlines.
    Thank you,
    bj25

4. XL Guru

XL Guru

For viewing gridlines, choose Gridlines from the View menu (toggles on & off).

For printing gridlines, File -- Page Setup -- Other Options (toggles on & off, but is governed by the View setting).

Rgds,
    Andy

5. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Okay, maybe I need to clarify....in my Excel, print preview shows that I do not automatically show gridlines, so I selected a portion and chose the borders.

XLGuru can confirm or correct me on this, but if you select your area and give it borders, then toggle off gridlines, what will be left are the borders/gridlines only on the area that you have put them on manually.

XLGuru, does this sound right?

MBN

6. bj25

bj25 Thread Starter

Hello MBN
    I tried highlighting and borders but the gridlines still print out in the entire spreadsheet. I've used "view" and "page setup" to no avail. I have Microsoft Works 4.5.
    Thank you for your interest.
    bj25

7. XL Guru

XL Guru

Hi bj25. The following info relates to Works 5 ; I doubt that 4.5 is much different.

You can't set it so that only some gridlines appear, regardless of whether you mean when viewing the sheet or printing it. You can only turn off all gridlines and then fake them being on in selected areas by using borders. Let's concentrate on what shows on-screen for starters

To make it appear that gridlines are only on in a certain area, select the area, then choose Border from the Format menu. On the Border tab of the Format Cells dialog, choose Light Gray for color and click in the Top, Bottom, Left and Right border boxes. Then click OK. If the rest of the gridlines are still visible, uncheck Gridlines on the View menu. The screen should then look like the attached.

Rgds,
    Andy

Attached Files:

8. XL Guru

XL Guru

Moving on to what prints ("the gridlines still print out in the entire spreadsheet").

Choose Page Setup from the File menu. You should get the dialog box shown below. Make sure the "Other Options" tab is uppermost. If "Print Gridlines" is checked, uncheck it. Then click OK.

Rgds,
    Andy

Attached Files:

9. bj25

bj25 Thread Starter

Hi Andy,
    Thank you very much for your kind help. Your instructions were very clear and they worked.
    I have been spending 3 hrs. every week-end on this project. I never would have thought of using the "light gray" color- or for that matter- the rest of the directions you gave.
    Again, thank you!
    Barbara
    (bj25)

10. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Andy:

Kudos to you for always going above and beyond the call...

No wonder I admire you so much!

11. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> going above and beyond the call

Well, in the first place, I just try. A fair amount of anything beyond that is that I don't like being (as in CAN'T STAND TO BE) beaten.

But to get "a nod" from a published author/media star/a (if not the) major player in this forum ; err ... :eek:

Rgds,
    Andy

12. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    LOL! You're the perfect foil for me, Andy. Now, if you could just catch me in the number of posts...

Just checked. You only need on average about one post per day. :D

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice