1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by crossing75, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crossing75

crossing75 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
    Please bear with me, as I am new to spreadsheets. I am working in Microsoft Works in word perfect mode.
    After spending several hours teaching myself to make a spreadsheet with columns and cells, and typing all of the info in these columns and cells, I was sooo proud of myself:D , well that was short lived, because when I went to print it out, only the info printed, but not in spreadsheet form with columns and cells:confused:
    I sure hope someone is willing to help me.

Marilyn

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    well, it may be in the print options (not familiar with Works). Check there to see if it has print gridlines.

Alternativey you can make your own borders. Most likely in Format Cell.

3. crossing75

Thank you Couriant for getting back to me. I did not see that option. Would it be easier to do if I had Word Perfect 12?
    If so would you mind telling me how I would do that?

Thank you,
    Marilyn

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Unfortunately I'm an Excel man. Perhaps using the help to look for making borders on cells should yield some info.

Other than that I will leave this question to the Works users.

HTH

5. letchworth

letchworth

The problem with WORKS is that it "Works", but not compatible with anything else (files not compatible to other programs).

It has been a while, but highlight the area you want to print and look for something under the format menue called "Cells"--- and then look for an option to add borders. You'll probably have pictures of outside borders, inside borders, top only, sides only, etc.--- choose what you are looking for (& don't forget to choose line width, as well).

If you decide you'd like a full-sized office suite with spreadsheet, presentation software, word processing, etc.--- download Open Office--- It is a great product that just happens to be FREE to use, free to share, free updates.
    http://www.openoffice.org/

It can read files and produce files compatible with every major Office suite made. I have used it exclusively for several years and love it.

letchworth

6. crossing75

Thank you Letchworth, for getting back to me.
    I want to thank you for telling me about the Open Office Program.
    I am really starting to feel pretty stupid right now, but as I told you I am just trying to learn about spreadsheets.

I filled out the spreadsheet as I wanted it with the columns and cells, but again even with this Open Office, when I print out the spreadsheet, I am only getting the text...not the columns and cells:confused:
    What am I doing wrong?

Marilyn

7. letchworth

letchworth

Did you try what I told you? Highlighting the cells you want to print, then go to format menue and select cells? That will open a large popup menue with several tabs on it.

Select the one that says "Borders". In the middle of that is an area devoted to line width-- for now select 1.0 pt. (That give you a pretty bold line).

Now, on the left side is an area with several boxes-- above which are the words "Line arrangement"---- Just below those words are 5 boxes. Let your mouse hover above each one and a brief description will pop up. The 4th box will give the following words, "Set outer Border and All Inner Lines"---- select that one ---- and click "OK"

Now you will see some gridlines--- but, to see them better, go under the File menue and select the one that says, "Page Preview" and you'll see your grid lines much clearer.

Go back to the file menue and uncheck the "Page Preview" and you are back to the spreadsheet again.

You actually have lots of choices-- not only the 5 boxes, but you can add or subtract lines and cross hatches (& lots of other stuff--- but try the easy ones for now & enjoy it).

I'm glad you downloaded OpenOffice-- when you save things, make sure you save them as .XLS format (Excel) to make them compatible with Office (for now anyway). There is also an option <Tools><Options><Load & Save> to make that your permanent preference (not that you lose other options, but that you always start with those-- If you don't own any of the other programs I'd select all six options of the bottom options (skip the top 2 for now) given there and then hit OK.

This has been Lesson #1--- congratulations!
    lethworth

8. crossing75

Hi Lethworth,
    I am now feeling pretty stupid, but am thickheaded, and won't give up!
    Your directions were great!
    I did really good until I went to print a spreadsheet with both cells and columns..this message came up...Cannot apply Borders to mulifile format .
    I will keep trying to catch onto this, I will understand if you want to give up on me!
    Sometimes I want to give up on me too! lol

Thank you for your help,
    Marilyn

9. letchworth

letchworth

Everyone starts somewhere----- let me suggest a series of FREE tutorials on learning Open Office--- You are looking for the ones on Open Office Calc---
    http://www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org/index.html

When you say that you "went to print a spreadsheet with both cells and columns" I am not really sure what you mean--- I have never seen that particular error message and don't know what it is all about.

I am definitely NOT giving up on you-- however the amount of time required might be more than I have---- and these tutorials will teach you, not just a few things to get you by, but a basic understanding of spreadsheets and what they can do for you.

Feel free to send me a PM (by clicking on my name in any of my responses) or poste an additional question here--- and I'll get back to you.

Also, Open Office does have a very good help section within the program--- as well as their own specific forums
    http://www.oooforum.org/forum/

I do think you have made the correct choice in downloading Open Office-- they have a good volunteer support base--- and lots of helpful people.

I'd start with the tutorials-- they are very helpful.
    Good luck-- and do feel free to ask additional questions (but, maybe a little background would be helpful).
    letchworth

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice