1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SPTD.sys

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SaltyC, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SaltyC

SaltyC Thread Starter

First of all, since I'm new to techguy.org, I'd like to say hello to everyone here. :)

Now the problem:

I recently installed BEOS Personal edition 5. Problem is, it was supposed to boot inside windows XP which it did not. I created a boot disk (floppy) for it to boot from and install to my HD. When I booted from the floppy it looked like it was going to install but didnt. My computer restarted and I tried to boot back into XP but when I logged in, explorer would not start, nor would any other programs. So, I tried running explorer from taskmanager which I opened. Explorer still would not start. Then I ran msconfig and decided to set it to boot into safemode and remove any components BeOS had installed on my computer. When I rebooted into safemode, it seemed normal until the drivers started loading and I got an error message that said "Press esc to cancel loading SPTD.sys". I pressed esc and safeboot didnt continue.

Because I have Linux installed on my 2nd hard drive, I was able to boot up into SuSE and research SPTD.sys. It is associated with http://www.daemon-tools.cc/ (thing is, I've never heard of daemon tools in my life until now and to my knowledge downloaded any of there products!) I would follow the removal directions of http://www.greatis.com/security/What%20is%20SPTD%23%23%23%23.sys.htm but I cant delete sptd.sys from inside SuSE and I can't get to regedit. If it comes down to it I will reinstall XP but I'd like to see if anyone can help me. I'd appreciate any help that would help me get into safemode so I can remove those drivers and any trace of BeOS.

Salty

2. SaltyC

SaltyC Thread Starter

3. Empire2500

Empire2500

hm,i had my computer reinstall windows once,and the person who did it gave me symantec antivirus coporate and daemon tools thing..its nothing bad..but got no clue what it does

4. SaltyC

SaltyC Thread Starter

Well, because I didnt want to wait too long I decided to let windows just sit while booting into safemode. Even though I didnt think anything would happen, well after a while it booted! Then it took ridiculously long to load explorer but after it did, I just renamed sptd.sys and its little partner file sptd####.sys to something else. I also edited the registry to make sure that sptd.sys did not boot at start. We'll see what happens after I restart later. Right now I'm running a spyware check etc.

5. Crucian

Crucian

my computer is constantly rebooting. It wont boot from a cd. When I try 2 boot in safe mode, it stops and says "press esc to stop loading sptd.sys" but it still just keeps rboting no matter what option I choose. HELP!:confused:

6. dragondaemonchic

dragondaemonchic

I am having this same error on one of my machines. I looked online a little, and have also found that the file may be associated with Quicken Updates. So even after uninstalling Quicken 2004 from the system it still tries to load on start up. I am able to get into safe mode, and it does ask if I want to stop loading that file, but doesn't effect anything if I let it go or if I stop it in safemode. The System event logs just show it wasn't able to load. Logs don't show what it belongs to. I believe I'll be following SaltyC's actions, and renaming the files and removing from registry. We'll see if that helps.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice