1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spurious user name filesin 'documents and settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mhogg, Jul 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhogg

mhogg Thread Starter

I'm new to XP, ( and this forum ), and I'm struggling with the multiple users environment.

The background is :

I got a new PC from DELL with XP pre loaded. When prompted to enter names of users I listed four : myself, my wife and two children.

A day or so later, I decided to alter things to three users, deleting one of the children's 'accounts' and re-naming the other as 'Kids'

Everything is fine on the log in screens - and it all works great.

BUT, when I looked in Documents and Settings, I saw the 'old' child's 'account' still listed, and a 'duplicate' of my wifes file,but with the extension .DELL. So instead of seeing :

Kids
    Sheila
    Mike

(along with the all users, shared etc. etc.)

I get something unexpected :

Kids
    Rachel
    Sheila
    Sheila.DELL
    Mike

It gets more confusing ( to me at least ) . . . .

I've had to do a couple of system restores ( problems with old device drivers for old devices !) and I'm now seeing

Kids
    Rachel
    Sheila
    Sheila2
    Sheila.DEL
    Sheila.DELL2
    Mike

Something to do with the restorer I figured ? but if so, why do all the spurious user files contain different sub folders? Why are extra files generated for one user only ? Why is a deleted username still there?

I'd love to get to the bottom of it, 'cos I don't like what I don't understand! Also, it would make life easier when configuring each users start /desktop etc options if I new which file was the 'real' one.

I've tried just deleting the weird ones, but as you'd imagine, that just screws up their start menu and desktop etc.

Any ideas?
    And, whilst I'm here . . . is there any way to install a program onto a limited users 'account' ( and no others ) whilst they are logged on, and from within their environment? Did I once see a pop up screen allowing me to select a different user and password . . . or was I just wishing one would appear ?

Appreciate any help . . . . thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/145406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice