1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

spybot & ad aware

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by julieislost, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. julieislost

julieislost Thread Starter

Is it redundant to have both Spybot AND Ad-Aware? Don't they both do the same thing?
    Thanks

2. EvileYe

EvileYe

Basically they do the same thing. However in reality Spybot may detect stuff that ad-aware doesn't and vice versa. I run both to be sure.

EvileYe.

3. RSM123

RSM123

Yes have both in case one is late being updated.

4. KeithKman

KeithKman

I had both Ad-aware6.0 and SpyBot...

...I found that SpyBot works better, so I deleted Ad-aware.

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Yes and no. They both have the same goal in mind, but they approach the problem in two very different ways. Also, they both have features that the other doesn't.

Spybot works by searching for matching files that it knows is spyware. Kind of like matching fingerprints. In some ways this is good, but obviously if you don't have a fingerprint (spyware file) to compare it to, then the bad file will just slip right pass you (in this case Spybot). This is why spybot has to have more updates than adaware does, and eventually this way of looking for spyware will make spybot much slower than adaware too.

AdAware works a lot like anti-virus programs do. When spyware is written it has certain "characteristics". AdAware looks for these characteristics in every file of your computer, and also throughout the registry. This is a very thorough way to look for spyware, but because it's a deeper scan it usually takes longer for AdAware to do the scan, however the new 181 build is much better than the older versions were.

You will want to use BOTH of them and always search for updates before you use them, and reboot in-between using both of them. That will give you the best coverage.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    JulieIsLost:

Install and run them BOTH. One will find what the other one won't, and vice versa. Spybot seems to be better at finding spyware registry entries and Ad-aware seems to be better at finding spyware tracking cookies.

Make sure to keep them updated on a regular basis. Ad-aware updates its reference file quite frequently.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

7. suesman

suesman

The main reason to keep them updated is to be sure you don't inadvertantly remove something you need. Nothin' sucks more than to run one of those proggies, only to realize that some other programs fail to run now. :mad:

8. julieislost

julieislost Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.....your info is very helpful. I've got both now.
    Have a great weekend!!

9. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

I run both, that works better than either by itself! :D

10. Deke40

Deke40

I guess I am being overly paranoid as I downloaded SpywareBlaster yesterday and giving it a try. It blocks over 800 known spyware items before they can get on your pc.

Unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster doesn't scan for and clean spyware. Instead, SpywareBlaster provides protection against spyware ever installing and can also prevent spyware from running if it is already installed on your machine! SpywareBlaster can also protect against spyware/tracking cookies (this cookie protection function requires Internet Explorer 6 or above - the spyware protection mechanism even works on Windows machines without Internet Explorer).

SpywareBlaster does not need to remain open for its protection to be active!

11. skyman

skyman

12. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Looks like spyware knocked their site down :D

13. skyman

skyman

Sorry about that...

Haven't been on it for some time.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166087

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice