spybot & ad aware

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

julieislost

Is it redundant to have both Spybot AND Ad-Aware? Don't they both do the same thing?
Thanks

Basically they do the same thing. However in reality Spybot may detect stuff that ad-aware doesn't and vice versa. I run both to be sure.

EvileYe.

I had both Ad-aware6.0 and SpyBot...

...I found that SpyBot works better, so I deleted Ad-aware.

Originally posted by julieislost:
Is it redundant to have both Spybot AND Ad-Aware? Don't they both do the same thing?
Yes and no. They both have the same goal in mind, but they approach the problem in two very different ways. Also, they both have features that the other doesn't.

Spybot works by searching for matching files that it knows is spyware. Kind of like matching fingerprints. In some ways this is good, but obviously if you don't have a fingerprint (spyware file) to compare it to, then the bad file will just slip right pass you (in this case Spybot). This is why spybot has to have more updates than adaware does, and eventually this way of looking for spyware will make spybot much slower than adaware too.

AdAware works a lot like anti-virus programs do. When spyware is written it has certain "characteristics". AdAware looks for these characteristics in every file of your computer, and also throughout the registry. This is a very thorough way to look for spyware, but because it's a deeper scan it usually takes longer for AdAware to do the scan, however the new 181 build is much better than the older versions were.

You will want to use BOTH of them and always search for updates before you use them, and reboot in-between using both of them. That will give you the best coverage.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
JulieIsLost:

Install and run them BOTH. One will find what the other one won't, and vice versa. Spybot seems to be better at finding spyware registry entries and Ad-aware seems to be better at finding spyware tracking cookies.

Make sure to keep them updated on a regular basis. Ad-aware updates its reference file quite frequently.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

The main reason to keep them updated is to be sure you don't inadvertantly remove something you need. Nothin' sucks more than to run one of those proggies, only to realize that some other programs fail to run now. :mad:

julieislost

Thanks everyone.....your info is very helpful. I've got both now.
Have a great weekend!!

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
I run both, that works better than either by itself! :D

I guess I am being overly paranoid as I downloaded SpywareBlaster yesterday and giving it a try. It blocks over 800 known spyware items before they can get on your pc.

Unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster doesn't scan for and clean spyware. Instead, SpywareBlaster provides protection against spyware ever installing and can also prevent spyware from running if it is already installed on your machine! SpywareBlaster can also protect against spyware/tracking cookies (this cookie protection function requires Internet Explorer 6 or above - the spyware protection mechanism even works on Windows machines without Internet Explorer).

SpywareBlaster does not need to remain open for its protection to be active!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online