1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spybot & Ad Aware

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Danboy, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Hi, just a quick question. I have turned off the firewall that came with my new computer. I am using Windows XP. Do I need to install Sygate also or will Spybot and Ad Aware be enough to keep me protected? :confused:

Danboy

2. 400025

running with no firewall is not recomended. while spybot and adaware are very good at detecting and preventing spyware they wont protect your computer from viruses or hackers I would look into getting a good firewall antivirus combo, you could do worse than norton.

3. John Burns

John Burns

Like WHAT???? lol! I dropped Norton last year after using them about four years - now have Sygate Firewall and AVG AntiVirus - plus AdAware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster and Microsoft AntiSpyware, Danboy.

Just kidding you 4000025 - I dropped Norton after I renewed my NAV2003 and was advised (by Symantec) that they would no longer support it - sour grapes on my part, I guess. Have been happy with AVG/Sygate combo on two home network computers.

4. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I will install Sygate now.

5. physician

physician

Actually - it depends. The firewall with XP is an excellent firewall, but it basically duplicates the hardware firewall that you may have in your router if you have one. The benefit of a ZA or sygate firewall is that it monitors outgoing traffic too in addition to protecting your ports.

Spybot and adaware are tools that detect and remove most malware/spyware. The teatimer tool lets you know when something tries to change your registry and the resident protection functions a lot like spywareblaster - blocks unwanted cookies being installed from known bad sites. Firewalls do not help with these things...doc

6. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

So do you mean that if I am not using a router, the firewall that came with XP will do what I need? So I do not need to download and install Sygate. I am a bit confused.

7. Dude044

Dude044

Danboy i would switch off the xp firewall,and install a firewall/antivirus aswell as running spybot and ad aware .

8. CRemedies

CRemedies

I would focus mostly on MS AntiSpyware since you are running windows xp. You can run Adaware side by side with it but Spybot has seen better days. That's just my own professional opinion.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Danboy:

You definitely want to use a firewall, especially if you have a DSL or cable high-speed "always on" connection.

The built-in Windows XP firewall only works one way. Sygate and ZoneAlarm work both ways - inbound and outbound. If you use a third-party firewall, turn off the built-in Windows XP firewall.

10. joniuk

joniuk

I think the best Anti Virus Program is AVG, or even AVG Free. I am running AVG 7 Pro. Also, Kerio Personal Firewall is the best at home Firewall I have ever come across. This combination works brilliantly together. I am also running Ad-aware 6.0 and Spybot Search&Destroy.

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Joniuk:

If you're using AD-AWARE 6.0, it's been outdated for quite awhile and will no longer accept and install new updated files. You need to upgrade to AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL 1.05. After you install it, make sure to run its "check for updates" function about once a week.

You might also check and make sure you have the current version of SPYBOT, which is 1.4 RC1.

You can download both of them from the spyware tools section at www.majorgeeks.com

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/354488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice