1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spybot/Ad-Aware

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tharimrattler, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tharimrattler

tharimrattler Thread Starter

Are these still being updated? Are they still the best to use for anti-spyware?

I have been out of the loop for a while.

2. andyspeake

andyspeake

In my opinion they are the best to use currently, as long as you keep them updated.

3. sardaukar

sardaukar

I use them and I think they are the best.
    The best plicy is to use several of them with firewall and antivirus :)

4. TOGG

TOGG

Well, I'm not sure about these two programs being the best but, when I had them both they more or less stopped finding anything once I installed SpywareBlaster from Javacool; http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/products.html

I never tried his 'real time' protection (SpywareGuard) but if it's anything like Blaster it should be good.

5. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

6. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

and thanks to MFDnNC's suggestion a while back I have become a fan of SuperAntiSpyware. Its scans take a while but are worth it.

7. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

SpyBot gives the system some protection and is not just a removal tool.
    The IMMUNIZE feature must be run after each set of updates you get to install the protection.

Spywareblaster is great, but IE_SpyAd is also! I use all 3, but not AdAware, on this XP computer. I connect with a cable modem and a good router, and I don't get invaded by anything. I'm pretty careful, but in searching for things for help in forming replies for help in forum posts, I get onto some pretty strange sites.

To be fair, the newest version of AdAware (2007) free edition, is pretty good....and says it does provide some protection for browser hijacking....and the pay-for versions have lots of added protection.

The antispyware programs like SUPER A/S and AVG Antispyware have free trial versions.

I use AVG Antispyware free edition, and also have SUPER A/S trial version, but I have it set to not start up with Windows...

8. Terryl

Terryl

I still use Widows ME. Spybot is OK but adaware SE does not update anymore. It comes up with error on download. I looked into majorgeeks but there is no version for Windows ME or 98.
    Does anyone know if adaware has stopped supporting ME ?
    Thanks

9. guitar

guitar Banned

i'm using xp and downloading adawarese updates as i type this:)

10. tharimrattler

tharimrattler Thread Starter

I tried SAS, thanks. Used the new Ad-aware too.

11. simonwar

simonwar

I use Spyware Doctor from PC Tools on XP Home, with McAfee Security Suite.

As a novice it does the trick, but it is fair to say that my depth of knowledge is not that good.

All I can say is that, i am on the net every day, banking and shopping, and I am not aware of any intrusions, etc and I've run like this for 3 years.

S.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice