1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SpyBot and Ad-Aware

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by BML, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BML

BML Thread Starter

what is the difference between these two programs, SpyBot and Ad-Aware? do they accomplish the same task? If I get Ad-Aware do I really need SpyBot?

Bruce

2. buddydeano

buddydeano

I use both, Ad-Aware does not seem to find spyware like Spybot does, although there have been a few times doing a scan with both, Ad-Aware found some that Spybot missed. My suggestion use and run both.

Only my view....

3. hewee

hewee

I use both for the same reason.

4. BML

BML Thread Starter

Well I noticed that Spybot found stuff that isnt necessarily bad, like recent file lists, history lists, windows activity logs, system shutdown logs, etc .

bruce

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

The difference between the two is that spybot only looks for "known" spyware. If it hasn't been "discovered" yet then spybot is in the dark and cannot give you any protection. As you know people who spend their time making spyware are always trying to come up with new ways to fool programs like spybot and AdAware. When they come up with a new form of spyware, spybot cannot protect you until they "discover" how the new spyware is being made.

However AdAware checks each file on your system and registry and looks for known "keys" that are needed in spyware programing. This gives them a much greater chance of accuracy (as pointed out by BML above) and AdAware can, and does a much "deeper" scan of your system. The bad part is that since AdAware is more thorough, it also takes much more time to run a scan, sometimes hours. The bottom line is that you will need BOTH, and always check for updates before you run each one.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Use them BOTH. One will find what the other one won't, and vice versa.

Spybot seems to be better at finding registry entries, whereas Ad-aware seems to be better at finding tracking cookies.

Make sure to update both of them regularly, just like you do with your antivirus program.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

7. Topkat

Topkat

Hang on a second!!
    When I do a scan with Adaware it takes less than a minute(and yes, I have gone through all the settings as advised by flrman1 on this forum), whereas a scan by spybot is the one that can take 10/15 mins???

What's up with that?

8. hewee

hewee

Yes the newer version of Adaware is very very fast and takes about a minute where the older verion took an hour.

9. Topkat

Topkat

@ Heewee, thanks for that.

Another question about using both programmes:

I've been using both for a while now no major problems, but I read a few days ago here somewhere (I can't find the thread anymore) that if you're gonna scan with both you must restart after finishing scanning with one before you start a scan with the other
    Is this the case?

10. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Topkat yes this is true. If you don't then they will cancel each other out because most likely they will overlap and find some of the same things. When they came to something that they "know" they should remove, but they can't find it (because the other one already removed it) they will crash.

Also what's this about a new version? I have the newest version with the latest update and it takes hours to run, and others on the lava forum say this is very normal. I was always told that adaware should always take longer than spybot because it does a much deep scan. If you're running adaware and it is only taking 1 minute, you might want to visit the lava forum.

11. starman2002

starman2002

I use both regularly and they are invaluable tools to keep the spyware and malware out of my pc's.

12. hewee

hewee

Your welcome Topkat.

I never heard about a reboot before scanner with the other but I can see the need for it. Real need if it is a something in the Registery that really does not get deleted till the next bootup.

13. Topkat

Topkat

@ wetchicken, I just did a scan and timed it, and I did exaggerate a little, it took nearly 4 mins.
    Spybot on the other hand still takes forever???

Is it just me, or what?

14. winchester73

winchester73

Wetchicken ... do you have the current build 181 installed?

Here are the times for two scans I recently ran on one of my computers ...

Smart scan took about 1.5 minutes, and scanned 45,723 files:

10:23:59 PM - Scan started. (Smart mode)
    10:25:25 PM Scan complete

Summary of this scan
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Total scanning time :00:01:26:535
    Objects scanned :45723

The custom scan took about 5 minutes, but checked 160,743 files.

2:51:03 PM - Scan started. (Custom mode)
    2:56:13 PM Scan complete

Summary of this scan
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Total scanning time :00:05:10:487
    Objects scanned :160743

15. hewee

hewee

Spybot took 2:34 min

Ad-aware took Total scanning time :00:01:29:750
    Objects scanned :36549

Have lots of big images anf it takes longer to scan the image folder. Also have lots and lots of zip files and a lot of the are very big.

So they both scan fast really with the new Ad-aware being faster.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice