1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spybot last Update ???

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by oldie, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldie

oldie Thread Starter

When was the last update? havn't had one for months :eek:

Regards - Oldie

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

30 th August Oldie. You will have to have the latest version 1.3 as well.

3. oldie

oldie Thread Starter

Many thanks xg - I do have the 1.3 but it hasn't updated for the past 3 months or so :(

Also there are seven items in there which cannot be eliminated. Ads relating to DAP (Dowload Accelerator) which I presume are harmless little beggars :D

Regards - Oldie

4. TOGG

TOGG

oldie,

You wrote 'it hasn't updated for the past 3 months'. Does this mean you have it set to look for updates automatically at startup?.

If so, there was a thread at the Spybot Forum at Net Integration, where it was recommended that that setting should not be used at the moment (admittedly, the post was made last August and last edited three months ago, but it may still be good advice).

What happens when you try the manual update option?.

5. oldie

oldie Thread Starter

Got it Togg - whoopeee :D found the update = show log file and there you have it

security.kolla.de/updates/spybotsd.ini
    9/9/2004 10:47:34 PM Downloaded update info file. http://security.kolla.de/updates/spybotsd.ini
    9/9/2004 10:47:57 PM Downloaded update info file. http://security.kolla.de/updates/spybotsd.ini

Just that when I click the search for updates button - it displays - no newer updates available :eek: yet it's just downloaded the damn thing :D

Resolved - thanks for your help guys (y)

Regards - Oldie

6. TOGG

TOGG

Just as a matter of interest, what is the date shown on the 'Info & Licence' page. Hopefully, it's 30th. August, if not you may have got updates for the beta version of 1.3.

7. oldie

oldie Thread Starter

2004-03-04 :eek:

Cheers - Oldie

8. Jack1000

Jack1000

Guys,

I do have a question about updating for Spybot. S & D. What about that Guardian or Immunization feature? Do I have to click on that each time I use the program, or the Guardian Immunizer only needed one time after the program is installed? What exactly does this feature do?

Jack

9. TOGG

TOGG

Oldie,

Looks like you have a problem with your copy of Spybot, or at least with the update process. Have you had a look at the Spybot Forum in case there's anything useful there?;http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showforum=28

Jack1000

As I understand it, the Immunization feature works like Javacool's SpywareBlaster in that it sets 'kill bits' which prevent known spyware/trackers etc. from being installed. Once turned on it is effective without having to be switched on at each boot. Every time Spybot is updated, you should go to Immunize and click on it once, so that the latest definitions are used. If you are running in Advanced mode you should really read through the Help files on these features.

I've got SpywareBlaster as well as Spybot and the makers of Spybot actually acknowledge that SpywareBlaster gives more protection against ActiveX 'drive by' installations.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice