1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

spybot or ad-aware??

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by number, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. number

number Thread Starter

I have both ad-aware6 and spybot, and I have to say that when I scan the system with ad-aware I usually get no results, then I do the same with spybot and I get a few bugs, usually things like: hitbox, doubleclick or avenueA....
    Plus I have the feeling that Ad-aware speed down the system. Is it really useful to have it?

2. Die Hard

Die Hard

number, hi :).

When you install AdAware, the default settings are in "smart mode" which is a "light" scanning of your system .

If you want to make a more thorough scan, make those changes in the settings:

First, check for updates of the reference-file clicking "check for updates" in the main window.

then........

Make sure the following settings are made and on -------"ON=GREEN"
    From main window :Click "Start" then " Activate in-depth scan"

then......

click "Use custom scanning options>Customize" and have these options on: "Scan within archives" ,"Scan active processes","Scan registry", "Deep scan registry" ,"Scan my IE Favorites for banned URL" and "Scan my host-files"

then.........

go to settings(the gear on top of AdAware)>Tweak>Scanning engine and tick "Unload recognized processes during scanning" ...........then........"Cleaning engine" and tick "Let windows remove files in use at next reboot"

then...... click "proceed" to save your settings.

Now to scan it´s just to click the "Scan" button.

After scan a log-file will be produced, you can either post it here to let us look at it, or mark everything found for removal and get rid of it.

Die Hard :)

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

"Plus I have the feeling that Ad-aware speed down the system"

AdAware only runs when you choose to run it, its not active at all otherwise.
    Same as Spybot.
    Its often useful to run both, and I do every few months in case anything has taken residence.

Most of the "extras" Spybot finds are only cookies and nothing to worry about (in my case).
    If you practice safe surfing and use a good updated antivirus program, and fully patch your operating system with the critical updates, you should have little trouble.
    Run the Adware & Spyware programs as often as you like.

4. $teve

$teve

Leave this one un-checked for now..
    "Unload recognized processes during scanning"

Spybot and Adaware scan your system in two completely diferent ways........BOTH are necessary.
    ;)

5. TheRealKiwi

TheRealKiwi

That one's still ok to check - the one we're leaving at the moment is "Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion."

6. $teve

$teve

Sorry.....I read a post with that advice along with "unregister" in another forum,in fact a couple of times.
    Ill put people right.
    ;)

7. winchester73

winchester73

LOL $teve, I still do a double-take myself when I read it ... :cool:

With the rapid morphing going on, the unregister tick is being turned off to help with removals ... according to the developeres, this feature will be enhanced with the next release of the program.

number ... both applications have the same objective in mind, but they approach the problem in two very different ways. One could argue that, in fact, SpyBot doesn't "find" anything since it hasn't any scanning logic. SB looks to see if the key "xyz" exists ... if yes, it puts it into the "detected" list. Ad-Aware builds dynamic (black)lists of keys to catch, also their references, and scans the references files, etc. So, the two applications aren't really comparable IMO, hence the reason you see many people here suggest you run both.

SB searches for files that it knows to be spyware. If the spyware file isn't in the database, it will just slip right on through.

Ad-Aware works in a manner similar to an anti-virus program. Each piece of spyware is written with certain "characteristics". Ad-Aware (when configured for a thorough custom scan) looks for these characteristics in every file within your computer, as well as the registry. This is a very thorough and complete way to look for spyware.

You can see why it is imperative that you always search for updates before you use either program, and also reboot in-between using them.

For help with Ad-Aware, please read this link: http://forums.techguy.org/t164245/s.html

8. utanja

utanja

i have been using both for several months with both tweaked to the max....and i agree that both are necessary....

9. number

number Thread Starter

ok then, do you guys know where can I download ad-aware because I don't have it anymore in my system
    thanks!

10. winchester73

winchester73

11. utanja

utanja

Lavasoft US Lavasoft German Site

both sites in English and german...:cool:

12. cammi

cammi

spybot

but you can run both if you like

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice