1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spybot problems..Help!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by kelly86, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kelly86

kelly86 Thread Starter

Whenever I try to fix the problems scanned on spybot a message pops up that says:
    "The application failed to start because WDENGINE.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this."

After that it seems like it sort of freezes up and after that it says "Program not responding" so I have to close it out through the Ctrl+Alt+delete way.

I had previously tried to delete or uninstall all my Wild Tangent files, so I think that this might be a result of that.

What do I do? I am so totally confused.

2. K-Man

K-Man

Hi kelly 86,

I did a Google search on this and turned up a bit of info, but I'm not really qualified to answer you directly. Here's the URL for anyone who CAN help you though, and this will bump up your post:

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=19510&hl=wdengine

Hang in there kelly86!

3. pfurball

pfurball

Howdy kelly86, Can u go into control panel/add/remove programmes and delete Spybot that way, the go to javacool site or major geeks and download the latest version? I would also download Ad-Aware as it picks up things that Spybot misses. Both programmes work in tandem to keep your machine clean of nasties. If you look at Rollin Rogs security site on the forums, it has a list of sites and programmes worth installing on your computer. I hope you run and antivirus and firewall, as they are very necessary these days.

4. K-Man

K-Man

From what I've seen elsewhere, the "wild tangent" thing IS related to kelly86's problems here. Can anyone explain this to kelly86? :confused:

<bump>

5. TOGG

TOGG

If Kelly did a manual uninstall of some files/folders, then, as the error message suggests, she may need to reinstall the spyware in order to uninstall it properly (or let Spybot do it after a reinstall).

That is what this article suggests, and it provides a link to the site where the necessary file(s) can be obtained;http://wildtangent.custhelp.com/cgi...0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTE1JnBfcGFnZT0<br />x&p_li= Haven't tried this myself so it's 'use at your own risk' I'm afraid.

6. kelly86

kelly86 Thread Starter

Hey I tried the ad-aware thing but being as I am a starving college student I just can't afford to buy any programs. Are there any ones out there that are free and just as good?

I have tried everything to fix this whole 'WDENGINE.dll' thing in spybot but I just can't seem to find anything that will work.

I uninstalled spybot and re-installed it but the same problem occurs.
    I uninstalled Wild Tangent but nothing happened there
    I even tried to re-install Wild Tangent because it seemed the problem came up after I deleted it but that was no help.

Thanks for the help k-man but all I am getting on that link is to just ignore it..but how can I ignore it when it won't let spybot do its thing.

Again, thanks all for your help...I am really clueless here- I know NOTHING about computers :)

7. K-Man

K-Man

Hi kelly86,
    Here's what I found at TOGG's suggested URL, but I'd ask TOGG or another knowledgeable member before following these steps, just to be sure!

To remove the Web Driver, and associated software, please do the following:

1. Open Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs
    2. Select the WildTangent Web Driver
    3. Click Remove
    4. Select the WildTangent Updater
    5. Click Remove
    6. Select the WildTangent GameChannel
    7. Click Remove
    8. Reboot
    After uninstallation, open your Windows directory, and delete the wt folder
    Delete the c:\program Files\WildTangent directory
    If you manually deleted the folders prior to uninstalling the software, you will need to reinstall the Web Driver with Gamechannel, then follow the instructions above. You can find the Web Driver with Gamechannel installer at: http://www.wildtangent.com/default.asp?pageID=webdriver_download

Please Note: If the Wildtangent Control Panel icon still appears in the Windows Control Panel, you may need to search your computer's hard drive for any occurance of the files "wtcpl.dll" and "wtcpl.cpl" and remove it. This occassionally occurs when an older version of the Web driver was partially removed.

8. TOGG

TOGG

That article is the total extent of my knowledge about this particular problem, although, from what I have seen elsewhere, once an uninstall goes wrong, it is pretty standard procedure to reinstall the program so as to uninstall it properly.

Kelly should also be aware that AdAware Personal is free as is Javacool's SpywareBlaster, two good programs to have.

9. K-Man

K-Man

10. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

11. TOGG

TOGG

Unfortunately I have to sign off now but, based on a quick read, I don't see anything in that link which changes things.

That poster seemed to have got rid of the program but had the irritating icon left and was referred to the same article I found.

Key thing here is that WT is not dangerous or serious, just a nuisance. If Kelly installs AdAware it might be able to get rid of it without problems, if not, a reinstall seems to be the way to go.

12. K-Man

K-Man

If I'm understanding you correctly, kelly86, you are able to run a scan with Spybot, but then have the problem when you try to have Spybot "fix" things?

If this is the case; have you tried putting the "Wild Tangent" problem on Spybot's ignore list, or simply un-checking that item on the "fix" list? From what you've said, it seems that the problem is that Spybot WANTS to delete a file which it cannot find. Such a paradox can lock up even the most sophisticated software.

I'm just fishing for a simple solution here, and hoping we can find an easy way for you to solve this. As always; ask the tech pros if in doubt.

Good luck!

13. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

The post above points the way,try doing this

Open Spybot,then click on mode at the top,then advanced mode,settings,ignore products, then scroll down the list that appears and put a tick by Wild Tangent, then run spybot again .........

14. K-Man

K-Man

Anyone know if kelly86 found a solution yet? :confused:

15. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

So far she hasnt posted back.......

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice