1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spybot question and Defragment question

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Mystik_TK, Jun 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mystik_TK

Mystik_TK Thread Starter

Firstly, I was looking at my logs for Spybot and it doesn't seem to detect anything from my second hard drive, which has the the same Progs installed as my main drive and SpyBot detects files from those. What gives?

Secondly, I was wondering if I should use Disk Defragmenter? Apparently, if you lose power while it's defragmenting, you're pretty much screwed because it moves your files.

2. jnibori

jnibori

Do you have SpyBot installed on the second HDD? Are you talking about a ghosted second HDD?

I've read the same thing about potential serious problems if the power is lost during a defrag. The article even went as far as to say if you live in California (U.S.A.) to defrag during the midnight hours because of the history of "grey outs" during the peak times of electricity usage.

I guess it makes sense since data is being re-positioned on the drive.

3. raybro

raybro

Depends on your configuration. I belive spybot only scans the HDD you are booted to. That's where the cookies and registry are located. If you have a dual boot system with OS's on two different physical drives, I would suppose you would need spybot installed on both drives and be run separatly.

As far as defrg is concerned. True, you could have a problem if power failed while you are defragging. If power outages are all that common where you are located, I strongly suggest you purchase a UPS (Uninterrutable Power Supply), which will maintain power from battery on your system for some finite period of time allowing you to terminate the defrag process and shut down. They are pretty cheap for the protection you get. Wouldn't be without one myself.

Regards - Ray

4. Paul Rosso

Paul Rosso Guest

defragging your drive is basically reallocating your files so naturally if this process is interupted there is gonna be hell to pay, if you defrag weekly it should only take a few minutes

5. Mystik_TK

Mystik_TK Thread Starter

Thanks alot, guys.

I've been meaning to purchase a UPS for ages, but I'm wondering if there's any way I get by the limited back up times that apparently have to do with my monitor?

Say, for instance if I plugged my monitor into a different outlet from my powerbar (I have a 2-outlet "thingy"), would that give me more backup time?

Also, I run XP Pro, and rather than use the packaged software to automatically save work, close progs and shut down the computer, can I do that through XP Pro. I know it will shut it down through UPS setting is Power in the Control Panel, but is there any other way?

6. raybro

raybro

Well, yes, plugging the monitor into an unprotected outlet with the PC on a protected (UPS powered) outlet would certainly allow you more time because you would consume less power. But how are you going to know what is going on with your PC if you have no monitor? How will you terminate any process (like defrag) if you cannot see what to do? How will you shut down the PC without the monitor letting you see what the system status is?

No, you need the monitor powered by the UPS also. Most UPS 's will give you 3-5 minutes of run time powering both the monitor and the PC. More than adequate for normal shutdown.

Unless, of course, you want to defer to the default automatic shutdown sequence some UPS's have. Then, I guess, you wouldn't need the monitor. Personally, I prefer to do the shutdown myself if I'm there and would only use the auto shutdown process in the event I was not around. Unlikely, since I usually shut off my PC when I go anywhere.

Can't answer your question about XP Pro, as I'm a Win98SE user.

Regards - Ray

7. Mystik_TK

Mystik_TK Thread Starter

LOL. I feel so stupid now. I completely "overlooked" the fact that if the monitor was out of the UPS, then I obviously wouldn't have power to the monitor. Hehehe.

Anyway, thanks for your help, that answers some questions for me.

8. hewee

hewee

I have Norton and use Speed Disk to Defrag. They have an option that lets you "Verify Writes"

Verify Writes
    Check to have Speed Disk verify that the data moved during optimization is rewritten correctly to the disk. Verifying disk writes adds significant time to the optimization process, but this option guarantees that data is not lost due to problems with older or faulty disks.

I use it even on my newer PC because I just feel safer.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/140055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice