1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spybot S&D and Ad-aware SE crashing my system

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by lotuseclat79, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

I run Win98SE on a Pentium III with 512MB RAM on 40GB hard disk.

I can run Spybot S&D 1.3 TX and Ad-aware SE 1.05 in Safe Mode only.

When I tried to access the web site with Spybot S&D 1.4.2 (looked Russian), my system crashed when I hit the download link. Can't even run Ad-aware or Spybot on my full up system - system crashes when I try to activate either.

My startup includes only the System Task Scheduler with 97% system resources. When I activate my AV, PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005, resources hit 90%. When I activate my ISP, EarthLink, resources hit 86%.

Just a guess on my part, but has my system become infected at a low level that looks for programs like Ad-aware SE and Spybot S&D to crash the system? Is there a known pest that does this with these two programs?

It appears that I have enough system resource IMO.

I can only run SpySweeper (Webroot) by activating it before PC-Cillin. The system crashes if the order of activation is reversed.

Could a conflict with PC-Cillin be the cause?

I only have Dr. Watson, but would really like to have a system level debugger to capture what is causing this problem. Are there any out there for Win98SE? Or is Dr. Watson enough? - I'm not familiar enough with it to know.

Tia,

-- Tom

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice