Spybot S & D~~Immunize problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dizzy Blonde

Hi~~

I have Spybot S & D 1.4, and am having a problem with immunization. It says:

"2003 bad products already blocked. 3 additional protections possible. Please immunize."

I immunize and it shows: "2006 bad products now blocked."

However, the next time I update and then immunize, it goes right back to showing 2003 bad products already blocked. I am getting nowhere fast!! I never get beyond 2006 bad products blocked. :confused:

I have been going around in circles with this for a couple of weeks now. Can someone please help?? Also, how many bad products should be blocked in Spybot 1.4 now? I immagine quite a few more than 2006 that I have blocked.

How do I get my immunization to work properly?? Thanks in advance for any help.

Dizzy Blonde :)
I am using IE 6, ME operating system.

Dizzy Blonde said:
Hi~~

I have Spybot S & D 1.4, and am having a problem with immunization. It says:

"2003 bad products already blocked. 3 additional protections possible. Please immunize."

I immunize and it shows: "2006 bad products now blocked."

However, the next time I update and then immunize, it goes right back to showing 2003 bad products already blocked. I am getting nowhere fast!! I never get beyond 2006 bad products blocked. :confused:

I have been going around in circles with this for a couple of weeks now. Can someone please help?? Also, how many bad products should be blocked in Spybot 1.4 now? I immagine quite a few more than 2006 that I have blocked.

How do I get my immunization to work properly?? Thanks in advance for any help.

I am using IE 6, ME operating system.
Hi Dizzy Blonde,

I have Spybot S&D version 1.4RC2 with 2370 products blocked by immunize.
Suggest downloading and installing version 1.4rc2 - might help.

-- Tom

I just checked mine and it's blocking 6606. Maybe your update didn't work right.

You click on update, then on the update screen you click search for updates. If there are new detection rules that you need, check it and then click on download updates and it should do the install.

I just checked and the latest one is 7-15-05.

Dizzy Blonde

lotuseclat79 said:
Hi Dizzy Blonde,

I have Spybot S&D version 1.4RC2 with 2370 products blocked by immunize.
Suggest downloading and installing version 1.4rc2 - might help.

-- Tom
Thanks for your reply Tom. Would I have to uninstall version 1.4 or can I install 1.4RC2 over it?

Dizzy Blonde

Dizzy Blonde

stantley said:
I just checked mine and it's blocking 6606. Maybe your update didn't work right.

You click on update, then on the update screen you click search for updates. If there are new detection rules that you need, check it and then click on download updates and it should do the install.

I just checked and the latest one is 7-15-05.

Stantley~~I think my update is working okay cause my latest one is also 7-15-05. Thanks!!

Dizzy Blonde said:
Thanks for your reply Tom. Would I have to uninstall version 1.4 or can I install 1.4RC2 over it?
Dizzy Blonde
I tend to do uninstalls, and then complete installs for most software unless it indicates that you can install over top of preceeding versions.

I run SpywareBlaster which blocks 3644 at the moment, and I also have a Hosts file from http://remember.mine.nu/ [WinXP: disable DNS Client service] which blocks many sites (1.2MB), and Spybot has an option to roll in some entries to the Hosts file from its Tools submenu (Advanced Mode) which are installed there.

Have no idea why stantley's Spybot S&D blocks 6606, since mine is also the 7-15-2005 update level, and indicates all possible are blocked.

-- Tom

Dizzy Blonde

lotuseclat79 said:
I tend to do uninstalls, and then complete installs for most software unless it indicates that you can install over top of preceeding versions.

I run SpywareBlaster which blocks 3644 at the moment, and I also have a Hosts file from http://remember.mine.nu/ [WinXP: disable DNS Client service] which blocks many sites (1.2MB), and Spybot has an option to roll in some entries to the Hosts file from its Tools submenu (Advanced Mode) which are installed there.

Have no idea why stantley's Spybot S&D blocks 6606, since mine is also the 7-15-2005 update level, and indicates all possible are blocked.

-- Tom
Tom~~
I also run SpywareBlaster & mine also blocks 3644~~I just checked. You lost me on Host file, DNS Client and I'm not real sure about the Host file in Spybot. I am a real new user and pretty green..... :D

So, can you give me some tips on uninstalling v1.4 and installing 1.4RC2. Is there a Spybot web site that would give directions? Thanks so much for your help.

Why am I blocking 6606? That's a good question. Apparently there is a different way of doing this count in version 1.4 according to this article

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=31276

I'm also using spyware blaster, which adds 12.

Theoretically the counts should be approximately:

Immunization Windows XP

...................................... Items .. Times .. Count
ActiveX Blocking.................. 747 ...... 1 .... 747
Cookie Blocking..................... 92 ...... 6 .... 552
Restricted Zone (Domain)... 1041 ...... 5 ... 5205
Restricted Zone (Range)........ 18 ...... 5 ..... 90

Total ........................................ 6594

Dizzy Blonde said:
Tom~~
I also run SpywareBlaster & mine also blocks 3644~~I just checked. You lost me on Host file, DNS Client and I'm not real sure about the Host file in Spybot. I am a real new user and pretty green..... :D

So, can you give me some tips on uninstalling v1.4 and installing 1.4RC2. Is there a Spybot web site that would give directions? Thanks so much for your help.
Hi Dizzy Blonde,
It looks like the latest version of Spybot is 6-01-2005 v1.4, so if you download and install it from the Spybot.de website or MajorGeeks.com you can't go wrong.
I run Spybot in Advanced Mode. To uninstall Spybot, I recommend using the Control Panel Add/Remove capability.

-- Tom

Uninstalling Spybot takes out all the logs & entries,better to keep those if upgrading,that option is available.Deleting the immunised objects should clear resources for Spybot ,only if system is operating with them immunised.Good idea to back up Spybotand the Windows Anti-Spyware is proving itself,even in Beta,SpySweeper is good towork alongside Spybot and Ewido also;I'm running them all with no problems +Spygaurd and Spyblaster;so Spybot has only blacklisted & immunised 650 that got thru.

Dizzy Blonde

lotuseclat79 said:
Hi Dizzy Blonde,
It looks like the latest version of Spybot is 6-01-2005 v1.4, so if you download and install it from the Spybot.de website or MajorGeeks.com you can't go wrong.
I run Spybot in Advanced Mode. To uninstall Spybot, I recommend using the Control Panel Add/Remove capability.

-- Tom
Thanks Tom~~I uninstalled Spybot and am heading to MajorGeeks to install v1.4. I'll let you know how it goes~~ :) Dizzy

Dizzy Blonde

Hi Tom,

After completely uninstalling, I installed v1.4 (from Major Geeks) and updated and immunized. I am right back where I was before~~2003 bad products blocked and 2006 bad products blocked after immunization, so I am going in circles again :( I have no idea what to do now~~any suggestions?? Thanks!!

Dizzy :)

Hi Dizzy Blonde,

Since stantley's figures are different from both yours and mine, let's for the moment stick with version 1.4, and try to level the playing field first - i.e. give you more protection.

Here are two tools you can install that I have to help protect my computer:
IE-SPYAD: https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm
Hosts file: http://remember.mine.nu/ [WinXP: disable DNS Client service]

The reason the DNS Client service should turned off is that it severely affects login time to ISP, and is not needed by a dial-up account.

To disable the DNS Client service (do this before you install Hosts file):
Start->Run->services.msc->ok
Scroll down to DNS Client service, right-click properties
and use the pull-down menu in Startup type to set it to manual/disable
click on Apply, then ok

After installing the Hosts file, you can use the Tools interface of Spybot to insert additional entries into the Hosts file from Spybot.

Looking at the link from stantley, http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=31276
it appears that there is great variance with version 1.4 of Spybot as far as immunization counts go. Go figure?

Ok, with regard to the issue of how/why etc. Spybot is stuck reporting immunized items at 2003, I can only suggest that you post a message at
http://forums.net-integration.net and hopefully find an answer there.

Also, if you do not yet use Firefox for a browser you can download and install it from http://www.mozilla.org Google for FireTune v1.0.5 optimizer for Firefox. Use Internet Explorer only for Windows Updates or where otherwise required by a website.

-- Tom

Dizzy Blonde

Hi Tom~~

Sorry for the delay in replying, but just got back here tonight. I do have the Hosts File installed already. As for IE-Spyad~~I had it, but it gave me problems so I dumped it. For protection, I have adAware Personal, A-squared, NAV 2004, Win Patrol, Zone Alarm, SpywareBlaster, and Spybot S & D, so I am pretty well covered.

To try to get my Spybot immunization problems straightened out, I will take your suggestion and post my question on the net integrations forums.

Thanks again for your help.

Dizzy

You got 98 because there is a bug in that your get 3 additional protections possible. Please immunize and after doing so it will say the same thing when you look again.
The immunization count is not the same for 98 as it is for xp either.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online