1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spybot Search and Destroy question...

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Sultan, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sultan

Sultan Thread Starter

I installed Spybot on one of my computers. On the bottom of the screen you see "Running Bot Check" as it goes through hundreds of files looking for spayware and adware.

Mine always comes to a cold, hard, dead stop when it gets to a file called "C2.LOP".

And then, the check won't go any further...it just hangs.

What is this? Why is this doing this? How can it be corrected so I can finish the system check?

I downloaded the latest updates to Spybot and still no luck.

Help?

Thanks.

2. RSM123

RSM123

Not sure if its been patched yet but this error has been around for a while just try hitting 'Excludes' and remove the appropriate item to help with this scan then post back here.

3. Sultan

Sultan Thread Starter

Hi and thanks for a reply. I "excluded" the C2.LOP....but am concerned because one was a cookie and another said it was some form of browser hijacker.

Is a browser hijacker something that automatically changes your homepage? Please advise.

4. RSM123

RSM123

Sultan

Check out the Security Forum - see the stickies at the top as you will probably need Hijack This :

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

You will need to download > run > hit scan > then use the save log feature and copy results of your log in another post.

But your best chance of a quick solution would be in the Security Forum.

5. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

i have both the cookies and the bho excluded, it doesn't hang and ive never had any problems from them...

6. Deke40

Deke40

A little more info on C2.lop:

Spybot Search and Destroy freezes when it gets to C2.lop because if the program detects that it is being removed or anything like that it hides itself in the memory..

"My SpyBot has been hanging on some of the C2.lop files...here's what I found on SpyBot's website. Looks like they're working on it but we'll have to wait it out..
    Quoting from the site:
    Why does the scan hang during detection of C2.lop? link FAQ #022
    The exact reason isn't yet known, as this error seems to be sporadic and only on a few machines, but there's a simple way around it. Start Spybot-S&D in advanced mode, open the Excludes section, and select C2.lop for exclusion of the scan (tick the checkbox in front of the C2.lop entry). This will avoid scan of C2.lop until a bugfix comes out (soon).

I have no problem with my Spybot.

7. mobo

mobo

Or run it in safe mode.

8. winchester73

winchester73

Yes, a browser hijacker will re-direct your home page.

You could also download Ad-Aware 6 and have it do a thorough cleaning of your unwanted files.

Go here for the free Ad-Aware 6 Personal Build 181: http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/

Launch the program ... on the start-up screen, you will need to first run the Webupdate Feature (globe at the top), or click "check for updates" to get the Reference File up to date.

Please use the Custom Scan with Memory and Both registry scans ON. Also.... make sure that you activate IN-DEPTH scanning before you proceed.

Then see that you have these options checked:
    Under Ad-Aware 6 Settings, Tweaks, Scanning Engine:
    "Unload recognized processes during scanning."
    Under Ad-Aware 6 Settings, Tweaks, Cleaning Engine:
    "Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion."
    "Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."

Next ...

Run Ad-Aware 6.
    Mark the objects you wish to eliminate for removal. There are many options available with a right-click.
    Make a Quarantine only if you do not have the Auto-Quarantine option ON.
    Then choose "Next" to remove the chosen objects.
    Finally ... Reboot

Please read http://forums.techguy.org/t164245/s.html for further instructions, settings , etc.

Once you are cleaned up, you might want to visit http://www.wilderssecurity.net/index.html and download the following:

SpywareBlaster v2.6.1
    SpywareGuard v2.2

These will prevent Active-X drive-by installations, as well as provide real-time browser hijacking protection.

Lastly, consider installing IE-SPYAD, a registry file that adds a long list of known crapware to the Restricted Sites of your Internet Explorer: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm

9. Sultan

Sultan Thread Starter

Thanks guys....I'm workin at it now.

10. Sultan

Sultan Thread Starter

Winchester73 -

I downloaded the free version of Ad Aware as you suggest....but the memory scanning and several other features are not "selectable". Is this because it's the free version???

11. Sultan

Sultan Thread Starter

I'm on Windows 98 SE by the way....

12. mobo

mobo

Yes , some operations are not available in the free version but go ahead and do a scan..

13. Sultan

Sultan Thread Starter

oK...I update to Ad Aware Plus...and did the scan....came up with 93 items. Most were "data miners" and a couple were "Possible Browser Hijackers".

Is it safe to delete these from my "quarantine" folder? I can't see where it specifically tells you what's safe to delete.

In Spybot Search and Destroy, they tell you it's safe to delete all "green and red " coded entries....which for a dummy like me makes it easier.

Please advise.

14. mobo

mobo

You can leave them in quarantine for now. Did you download the hijack this that was suggested from above ? If not do so then scan , save the log and paste it here.

15. Sultan

Sultan Thread Starter

Why do I need Hijack This?

Also, after doing a complete scan with Ad Aware, I ran Spybot afterwards and Spybot still hangs up and freezes on C2.lop file.

Does this mean the lop file is still screwing around with my computer?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice