1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spybot to remove 2 registry entries in XP

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by mtzlplex, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi to everyone. This is a friends computer, it is a new e machine P4 1 gig ram 120mb hd, running XP home. He had someone else set this machine up and just to let you know, they went ahead and installed this trial Norton security suite, with Norton Firewall that came pre installed on the computer. Nothing else security wise was put on the machine, so I went ahead, and installed Spybot(updated). When I ran Spybot, it preticked two registry entries to be removed, they were: Windows Security Center. Anti virus Diable Notify , and Windows Security Center. Firewall Disable Notify. Well, since these items were preticked by Spybot, I went ahead and quarantined them. I have seen nothing wrong with the comp, it seems to be running ok, but just wanted to make sure I had not done something wrong. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ideas.

Regards
    IMP49

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

These are just warnings that the Security Center alerts that would normally warn you if your anti-virus and firewall have been turned off or disabled for any reason, have been unchecked so that they do not warn you.

If you chose not to be alerted and turned those things off in the Security Center intentionally, then you can put these on ignore.
    Otherwise, something or someone has changed those settings and that should be investigated further.

You will find them under the Security Center in the Control Panel.
    On the left-hand side, you will see five options.
    Click on the last one Change the way security center alerts me and you will find three choices there.
    If there are no check marks in the boxes then that means that the alerts have been turned off.

3. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up Cheeseball81, much appreciated.

Regards
    IMP49

4. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice