1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spybot

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Nita, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nita

Nita Thread Starter

I see that someone has posted that a new version of spybot is available. I have 1.2 and for the past few weeks it has been coming up as clear which is a bit puzzling as I'm getting lots of spam these days. When I go to the spybot website there is no mention of a newer version. The site given in your thread is unknown to me. How do I know if it's a safe one?

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

If you go to the other thread Nita you will see all the information you need,by the other thread I mean the one where you questioned the validity of the site I gave,in the other thread I have directed you to the official spybot forums wher you can validate the site as being genuine, and the reason spybot keeps coming up clear is because it hasnt been updated since March 4th because of the imminent arrival of a newer version...hope this is of some help

4. Nita

Nita Thread Starter

Thank you both for responding. I had seen the previous posting concerning the new version of spybot and wanted to post my query on to it but it seemed to be a closed thread, the little envelope next to it was closed so I posted a new thread. When I went to look for a reply later in the day I couldn't find my question but the envelope was now open so I did what I had originally wanted to do. This is why I seem to have repeated myself. As you can see I am not very good at this so I am very grateful for your forbearance. I have now installed spybot 1.3 and on doing a scan found 3 ticked items whereas scanning with the previous version said all was clear. I hope this will cut down the spamming. Thanks again

5. TOGG

TOGG

It's interesting that you got three 'baddies' as well when you first ran the new version. If you click on 'Info & Licence' and then on 'Statistics' you should see details of the items. I have C2lopAproposMedia, Doubleclick and Dropper, do you?

What may be more interesting is that there are only two items in my (undated) Recovery file, one is Dropper while the other is described as Alexa Related. I only mention this out of curiosity since this is still a beta release which probably has issues to be sorted out.

I have seen suggestions on another Forum that the Dropper finding is actually a false positive result ie: there is not really a baddie there, so we will just have to wait and see what develops.

6. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Admin this thread can be closed as its running concurrent with another

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice