1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spybot1.3 Advanced Settings

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Shamrock, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

After updating the definitions on Apr.27th and running Spybot it said I had Backweb lite.
    I believe Backweb came with the computer but I don't think it's installed. It isn't listed in add/remove programs in control panel. So, I'm assuming I should have Spybot ignore that??
    Also, while looking for info about it I came across some info that says with the Spybot1.3 version it ignores a few malware products by mistake so it won't find them. It tells you to go into advanced mode and under the ignore products see if there are any checkmarks in any of the listed products and if there are to uncheck them.
    I have 3 that are checked...should I uncheck them?? They are:
    product category
    sidestep pups
    my search spybots
    new. net pups
    Also....while looking around in Advanced mode under ignore system internals:
    it shows:
    Entry Category
    %JavaDir%QTJava.zip missing shared dll
    install.exe wrong app path
    MsoHtmEd.exe wrong app path
    winnt32.exe wrong app path
    Is this ok?

2. Mr Broly

Mr Broly

I went ahead and let spybot delete that. I have been meaning to get rid of Backweb for along time now. I think it was to update something but i found it unessesary.

3. TOGG

TOGG

I don't know anything about Backweb Lite, but you need to be careful using the System internals feature because it edits your Registry.

It will backup the changes it makes but, even so, you should be certain you understand what the items it identifies refer to.

I have used this feature myself without problems, but it is not quite as risk free as allowing Spybot to fix the spyware and tracking cookies that it finds.

4. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

I had read that if you had Compaq/HP computer you shouldn't 'delete' backweb cause could mess up your mouse etc. Wonder how you tell the difference between the backweb lite and what comes on your computer or software?
    I won't mess with the stuff in system internal, was just looking but when I saw where it said "wrong app path" I didn't know if that was anything 'bad'.
    Ok, but what about the 3 things that were 'checked' under ignore products? Shouldn't I uncheck them??

5. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

6. Mr Broly

Mr Broly

I have a compaq and everything looks fine.

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

Mr Broly: Do you have the Logitech mouse or webcamera?

Cheeseball81: I don't want to update to the beta Spybot. Will wait on that.

8. Mr Broly

Mr Broly

Yes, i just bought a logitech mouse 2 weeks ago. I didnt even install it. I just plugged it in.

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

I had Spybot delete 54 problems with Backweb lite a couple days ago and thought everything was ok But....when I tried using my Logitech web cam I couldn't...it froze up....also when I tried using my imaging program it said (pic enclosed)
    When imaging froze and I did a ctrl-alt-D it showed twunk 16 listed there.
    Do I need to have Spybot restore all of backweb lite??

Attached Files:

10. TOGG

TOGG

Do you have a scanner from Logitech installed, or any make of scanner?

Googling Twunk16 suggests that it is a .dll which interfaces with Twain software, (usually associated with scanners?), but could be used by other devices as well. As I said before, I know nothing about Backweb but this article I found on Google suggests that it is bundled with Logitech products and that some users have removed it without problems;http://torque.oncloud8.com/archives/000354.html

You might want to go to Logitech's site to see if there are any newer drivers available for your camera (and scanner, if you have one) and see if updating the drivers helps.

11. Flower79

Flower79

Hiya sorry to interupt hehe

Shamrock - i to also have Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 and just had a look and mine to has the same products checked in "Ignore Products"......

Product Category

sidestep pups
    my search spybots
    new. net pups

:)

12. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

No, I don't have any scanner.

13. TOGG

TOGG

If there is no help for your problem at Logitech's website, you appear to have a choice between restoring what Spybot removed and enabling Backweb, or doing without your camera!

Spybot and other programs target backweb because it could be used to put unwanted stuff onto your computer, whereas people like Logitech include it with their products because they want to auto update;http://www.backweb.com/services/technical/

You might want to try disabling any Logitech auto updating functions before you decide whether or not to replace backweb.

14. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

Funny thing...when Spybot removed backweb lite it had 54 problems. I had it restore the whole backweb lite it removed and it only restored about 6 things. ( Do you know why?)
    My camera still didn't work so I had Spybot remove backweb lite again.
    Then I did a Quick Selective Restore of my Logitech Mouseware and (at least so far) my camera works...and when I re-ran Spybot no more backweb lite shows up.
    The only thing I found about disabling Logitech auto updating is to remove Logitech Desktop Messenger from add/remove program. I do not have that listed, so am I ok?
    Once in awhile I do find a iadhide.dll in my temp folder (think that's where it shows up)

15. TOGG

TOGG

I'm not sure why you seem to have 'lost' backweb now but, if your camera works without it, I suppose you can only 'wait and see' what happens next.

iadhide.dll is,apparently a Backweb component;http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/iadhide.dll.html I remember when I bought a new Logitech keyboard, 1/2 years ago, I had stuff loading at startup and sitting in Systray, just so that three special buttons could work. I got rid of them (don't remember how, but I think it was in program settings) and did without the 'services' they provided.

My much older mouse is Logitech as well, but I've never found Backweb with any scans.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/358383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice