1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SpySweeper opens multiple instances on user login

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ewiessner, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ewiessner

ewiessner Thread Starter

Hello, recently I jumped on to my parent's PC when I was in town, and noticed that SpySweeper was open several times on the desktop.

The windows were "sticky" - none of the UI worked on all but 1 of the instances, so I checked task manager, and there was an instance of SpysweeperUI.exe assigned out as running, but assigned to 3 different users. So if i'm logged in as "joe" then I'd see a process for SpysweeperUI.exe running under "joe" "bob" and "sue" in the task manager, yet can't shut down the instances assigned to the other users unless i log out and log in as them.

They're running XP Home edition with 6 users set up, and are convinced that there's some hacker trying to mess with their spyware program...I know it's probably just an installation issue, but I've reinstalled it on an administrator account, upgraded to the latest release and they're reporting the same problem.

I've contacted Webroot's support department but haven't heard back yet. Any ideas?

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Look in the Startup folder for each user and remove SpySweeper shortcut if found.

Put one shortcut in the "All User" startup folder if you want it to run at startup.

3. ewiessner

ewiessner Thread Starter

Thanks, am at work right now, will look into it.

4. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

OK, let me know what you find....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!