1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

spyware affecting sound and desktop image

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by zomzolom, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zomzolom

zomzolom Thread Starter

Yesterday my computer's desktop image "crashed." It has been replaced with an image in a black box with red letters that says the system has shut down due to spyware. I ran ad aware a few times and it now says the system is clear. I'm running Avast 4.8 Antivirus scanner. It's been running for 9 hours and is still checking my system. I have it set to the scan at the highest possible sensitivity so I guess it takes a while, but its seems like its taking a really long time.

I'm still getting a message (not from Avast or Ad Aware) that tells me my system is infected and it tries to link me to a site that will let me download an anti spyware program, but I think this is spyware itself.

Anyway, I now cannot access my destop image in the control panel, the option to change it just isn't there.

Also, my sound is no longer working. When I open the volume controls, my wav volume is all the way down. When I raise it and then close the volume controls, and then re open them, it is all the way down again even though I just raised it. I can get sound if I am actually moving the slider under the wav controls, but as soon as I take my finger off the mouse button, the sound shuts off. I basically have to constantly slide the wav. volume control up and down like a DJ to get sound. I don't really know much about how computers work but I was wondering if my drivers have been affected.

Anyway, in summation, I can't access my desktop image and my wav. sound seems to be damaged, I'm running Avast and Ad Aware and am wondering if there's anything else I should be doing. Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!