1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spyware: fight the good fight

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by pyritechips, Jan 21, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Well, this doesn't strictly belong in Random but I know there are many people that do not frequent the Tech threads, but I am p***** off!

I just did a search on the Canadian CBC news website (Canada's National TV/Radio service) for spyware and found...nothing!

I wrote them a long and impassioned e-mail asking for exposure on this vile and evil crap. Marlene (Angel) rightfully hates and fights child abuse. We all have our causes. I have mine.

I won't bore you with a blow-by-blow description of all my experiences with spyware. But this week was the last straw. My girlfriend called me, frantic, because her dial-up was auto-connecting at startup. We managed to trace the vile bug and eradicate it (FSW.exe). But it got me to thinking. Spyware no longer lurks solely on free downloads. She downloaded nothing. I recently had Gator and Xupiter. I didn't download anything. I know for a fact that I got them merely by browsing; this junk is lurking on websites and popups. This crap has exploded into an epidemic and nothing is being done about it as far as I'm concerned. Every time I look at a friend's computer guess what I find...?

It is of my opinion that spyware creators have the run of the interent and remain out of the public eye and unchallenged while everybody focuses on the sexy and newsworthy virii, such as Code Red, Sircam and Nimda. As far as I'm concerned, spyware does more harm, collectively, than virii do and should be treated as such! Virii writers and hackers go to jail- I'd like to see spyware writers suffer the same fate!

I would like you support on this one. If you care, post here, or better still, contact your local media outlets and/or government Reps. (or whatever they are called where you live).

2. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

I have to say that I have never had a problem with any Spyware (except Xupiter, which I allowed for it to be installed by accepting it; now I just deny all that crap :: usually these kind of pop ups are for Flash, so I usually just click accept; now I never do). But I do feel it is a BIG problem.

Personally, I would have no problem manually submitting via a program certain types of records like the websites I visit IF I were asked. That fact that they take all sorts of information and do it without asking is what is profound.

But I also have to say that I have a much bigger problem with SPAM. Just sign up with an email address at ONE website that leaks it out, and you suddenly end up with a lot of SPAM.

SPAM and Spyware are both some big problems.

3. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Spam is everywhere and it is annoying, but spyware can and does damage computer just as affectively as any virus. when I frist got into computers I had to pay a tech to fix a computer broken by spyware. Ask my girlfriend. Have you ever heard your girlfriend cry because the same thing happened to her and she had to put out money to get it fixed? I believe this problem is much worse than you or other people are aware of.

I hope this sentiment is extended to spyware writers soon. I'd like to see them get sued down to dirt poor for all the damage and grief they have inflicted.

4. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

I have emailed a radio station's computer show a lengthy letter when they recently reccommended the outdated adaware. 1 of the people there took me seriously, and read my letter, so hopefully that helped someone.
    You do have to get this info out there!
    So they reccommended a product thats not perfect.
    Whats worse, is when the local newspaper reccommended GoZilla! as a download manager. I should have sent a letter but I didn't.

PC-Check your browser settings and windows update. If you have updated IE and proper options regarding ActiveX you
    should receive a box asking you to install.

Spyware, in some ways is worse than a virus. When i loaded up my comp with crap to run a test, it was running really, really slow.
    When someone has a comp problem, they are likely to go do a "Virus Scan". But is your average computer user going to download Spybot and scan for spyware?

there is a spyware called Dlder (i think thats the name). Someimes, the the easiest way to get rid is to reinstall windows.

Gator is up front and obvious about it when stuffing ads in your face.

Some programs run quietly and stuff ads in your face.

Some programs run quietly, stuff ads in your face, and DETECT IF YOU HAVE SPYWARE REMOVERS INSTALLED, then produce fake error messages that appear to be from that program!

Its just sooo low.
    Now, adware is not the worst thing. It makes sense, if you get a useful program for free and it displays an ad in the upper right hand corner. Fair enough. Except when it sucks up all your bandwidth.

5. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Exactly my point. The average computer user DOES NOT KNOW that spyware exists, never mind spybot. They only find out when it's too late and have to post in a forum like TSG or, worse yet, pay a tech to clean it out for them.

Spread the word!

***POST SCRIPT***

There are computer techs that do not know about spyware! When I first got my computer and got nailed by newdot (Grrrr~!) my ISP tech did a virus scan, declared no virus and reported it as a "corrupt OS". The tech I called in to repair the damage fiddled about then reinstalled the OS. Neither of them mentioned spyware or checked for it.

6. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

That explains how much they care about customers!
    They couldnt take the time to do a google search and find a remover.
    That would take about 15 minutes (if you got 1 of the unqualified techs). Granted they would still charge the 1 hour minimum for their hard work.

7. Deke40

Deke40

I'm with you 100%. Here is a link where you can find your government people no matter what state:

http://www.piperinfo.com/state/index.cfm

8. n2gun

n2gun

I run Spybot and AdAware both. I also try to keep them updated. I can check a couple times a week and always find some form of spy ware has come from somewhere. It is rediculous and really should be outlawed. One way is to get as many people to complain to their local represenative as possible.

9. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

I don't have Spybot, but I do have Adaware... I read in one of the forums that in order for Adaware to REALLY find problems, you need to be disconnected from the internet...true? If so, does that mean that I need to disconnect my cable modem to run it?
    I have other questions as well, but will wait.

Thanks!

10. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Hi Kath:

The old Ad-aware is out of date- don't use it. Get Spybot- it is updated on a weekly basis and is much more aggresive than Ad-aware.

11. Moby

Moby

And a better program. I changed after reading PC's and Brendans advice, I should have just had it in the first place, far better.

Yeah, anyway, spyware, I hate it with a vengeance too. Sorry to hear of the other halfs plight PC.

12. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Thx for the kind words moby. I use here for an example but theres many others I have dealt with also. Fight the good fight and spread the word! I intend to keep this thread alive.

13. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

Jim... gonna go to cnet.com and download it right now ... may need some help removing left over keys in the registry from Adaware... also, you didn't answer my question about being connected to the internet while running the program.

Brb... Kath

14. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Kath:
    Sorry for overlooking your connection question. Have no fear: I run spybot on my cable connection, being online all the time, without a problem. I never had a problem with Ad-aware either and only stopped using it because it wasn't updated.

15. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

Good gawd! Spybot brought up all kinds of stuff... want me to copy and paste, or do several screenshots? I have NO idea what to leave, what to remove... *gulp*

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice