1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spyware/Malware/Trojans--you name it, he caught it!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Jaelini, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaelini

Jaelini Thread Starter

First off, DH managed to pick up all manner of malware/adware/trojans etc. in the last 2 days or so on his laptop.

I ran Spybot, Avast, and Smitrem...not much showed up in spybot...nothing in avast, and I didn't 'get' what smitrem was trying to tell me :)
    I did Add/remove certain programs programs under control panel (the click heres he clicked installed some garbage) but just basic stuff. I haven't done anything with the registry keys because I don't want to screw it up (I have my own stories, as some of you well know! LOL!)

Problems:

"Warning: Spyware that has been detected on your PC. Your computer has several fatal errors due to spyware activity. It is strongly recommended to install an antispyware software to close all security vulnerabilities. Antispyware software helps protect your PC against spyware and other security threats. CLICK HERE TO SCAN YOUR PC FOR SPYWARE..." This is obviously a bogus bit, and in some way involved with ~ware of some sort. BTW, the text "CLICK HERE TO SCAN YOUR PC FOR SPYWARE..." Of course, he clicked, thinking he should take care of this...

Also "Your computer is working slowly. Slow operation speed might have been caused by spyware. Download latest antispyware software and run FULL SYSTEM SCAN to remove viruses and spyware. Click here to start downloading..." among various other messages including one that begins "Your computer is not protected agains spyware..." and one that begins "Your computer may be at risk!"

"Warning: Your computer is infected with spyware! Help to protect your computer and remove spyware! Click here for more information..." (again, clicked and compounded the problem I am sure)

Also a warning telling him he has spyware installed (woo-hoo...I can be a rocket scientist too) and to click on a link and download something.

Windows Security Center system warnings, too many to list, but here's one:

"Possible spyware infacction has been detected on your computer by Windows Security Center. To remove detected threat you need to update Windows antispyware protection.
    Click here to visit Windows Security Center web site..."

Also, the avast went nuts every time he'd click on this stupid button that showed up on his IE toolbar (can't remove it--I tried) which is what brought all these issues on I believe. Its called Security Toolbar 7.1 Also, the antivirus says he's infected with [email protected] I am certain this is more horse poo as it says to click there to fix...etc...its one big happy loop of crap.

I honestly have no idea where to begin (but lucky me, "I" get to fix the issue that is NOT on my computer)...so once again, I bring it to my gurus...tell me where to begin...any and all help is greatly appreciated, as always!

It still connects to the internet just fine...let's hope it continues to do so.

Now the stupid thing keeps popping up with HP ink low warning thing that is making this edit quite difficult since it keeps taking over the active space....grrrrr!

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Please visit this webpage for instructions for downloading and running ComboFix.

Post the log from ComboFix when you've accomplished that, along with a new HijackThis log.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice