1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spyware/malware/viruses/etc. affecting connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SnootyUsher, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SnootyUsher

SnootyUsher Thread Starter

Okay, so what I want to know is if two PC's are sharing a connection with a wireless router, and one PC is badly infected with spyware and viruses, can that affect the connection speed on the other PC? I'm pretty sure I remember someone saying something about this causing the infected PC to use up more bandwidth than it usually would, and as a result, cause the other PC's connection to slow down. I've also had problems with it occasionally disconnecting, but I'm not sure if spyware and viruses can cause that, although I'd suspect it could if it's able to affect your connection in other ways.

Now, I think it's pretty likely this is the problem, because my PC's not infected and there doesn't seem to be any real reason why I should be having problems. Often when I had connection problems before I could reset my modem and router and change the wireless channel, and that would usually solve the problem, but not now.

Plus, I am certain that the other PC is badly infected. It's the one my younger brother uses, and he's put forth no effort to try to maintain his PC. His PC was running abysmally slow the last time I was on it, so slow infact that it took nearly 10-15 minutes for a single program to open. There was also constant warnings popping up mentioning how the PC was infected, and this was after removing all the spyware from his PC. I didn't scan for viruses, because as I said, it was running ridiculously slow, and I figured he could do this on his own. Of course, I'm sure he didn't, so in all likelihood there are probably plenty of viruses still infecting his PC, and he's probably acquired some new ones, too.

Also, if this is the problem, is there anyway that I can prevent this from happening? I mean, is there any way I can limit the amount of bandwidth used on one PC so that if the other PC is infected it's not using up as much bandwidth? Because I forsee this being a huge problem.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yes, an infected machine can certainly suck up excess bandwidth.

The solution is obvious, fix the infected computer, or disconnect it from the network.

3. SnootyUsher

Apparently it's no longer infected. So, I guess my connection's slow for other reasons. And really slow, too. It's slower than 56k at this point.

Edit: Okay, I just did a little research and apparently, it is possible to limit bandwidth on one PC. Now, I'm still not sure how to do so, and it's kind of difficult for me to do much more research, because pages are taking forever to load, and certain pages won't load altogether, so if anyone can help me out here, I'd really appreciate it.

I have a Linksys WRT54G v6 router.

4. JohnWill

I think you need to post a HijackThis log in our Security forum, let's make sure there are no infections before we chase our tails on this issue.

5. SnootyUsher

Okay, I did so, but I'm not having much luck as far as responses go, and I think I've been pretty patient. I hate to complain, but nobody has to help me. Still, it's just frustrating is all.

Anyway, I did try limiting the bandwidth on the other PC, but that didn't solve my problem. In fact, it may have actually did harm to the other PC. Now pages won't load despite it being connected to the internet, and instead a bunch of random code just pops up. Although this might not actually be what caused that to happen, I changed everything back, since it isn't helping my connection speed anyway.

At the moment, I'm pretty sure that my problem isn't router related nor is it ISP related. I know it's not router related, because I tried disconnected the router and just connecting with the modem, and I still had problems with my connection speed. And I know it's not ISP related, because before I was having my current trouble with the other PC, the connection speed was more than fine. It's just the wired PC that's having trouble with connection speed. Now I'm not sure what the problem could be, but I think it has to do with my computer and not my router or ISP. If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks.

Edit: Here's how slow my connection currently is:
    53 / 372 (Kbps)
    (6.5 / 45.4 KB/sec)
    Compared to the average of 1269 tests from verizon.net:
    * download is 98% worse, upload is 70% worse

6. JohnWill

Was that log taken in safe mode? I don't see a virus scanner loaded, you sure should have one of those running. Have you connected this machine directly to the modem to see if it's the router that's the issue? How about upgrading the firmware on the router to the latest available, and also doing a factory reset and reconfiguration of the router?

7. SnootyUsher

No, the log wasn't taken in safe mode. Should it have been? I do have an anti-virus program installed (ClamWin). And I have tried connecting the modem to the machine, and I experienced the same slow connection speeds. My firmeware has been upgraded, and re-flashed several times now. I've done a reset and reconfigured my router already, several times actually.

8. SnootyUsher

Sorry, I hate to be one of those people, but could someone please help me out here?

If no one can help, does anyone know of any tech support sites with a live chat feature? Sort of like the Linksys website has, which I would use, but this isn't router related. I'm sort of anxious to get this whole thing resolved. This seriously couldn't have happened at a worse time. Thanks.

9. JohnWill

You keep speaking of slow connection speeds, is this on both machines you have there, or just one?

10. SnootyUsher

Just one.

11. JohnWill

OK, just wanted to make sure I understood the situation.

Can you run www.speakeasy.net/speedtest on each machine while connected through the router and post the results here?

12. SnootyUsher

Well, I can't really check on the other PC. As I mentioned, for some reason or another, pages won't load, instead a bunch of code just pops up in the place of the page. Still, I can assure that the speed on the other PC was fine before this happened. And I already posted my connection speed:
    53 / 372 (Kbps)
    (6.5 / 45.4 KB/sec)

13. JohnWill

Well, that speed looks pretty bad, and if the other machine doesn't load pages at all, how do you figure only one machine has a problem?

14. SnootyUsher

Well, I could be wrong, but I just figured that because before this happened it wasn't having any of the speed troubles the wired PC was. So, I guess it could be the router or something.

By the way, before you ask, I've already upgraded the firmware; I've tried changing the wireless channel several times now; I've also done a factory reset; and still, I'm having the same problems.

15. JohnWill

Did you try connecting directly to the broadband modem with one machine?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/581304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice