1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SpyWare or Legit Product?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by HR10067, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HR10067

HR10067 Thread Starter

Several years ago, i purchased, downloaded and installed a file-cleaner called Spyware Stormer.

(there's since been lots of conflicting info about this app posted all over the internet.)

The program seemed to work ok, until my security software provider of choice (Norton/Symantic) decided the program was a virus.

Eventually I suffered extremely fatal crashes on my winxp dell system, and my hp dell system, because the files were still in my drive in multiple places, (it integrates into virtually every file system) and Symantic wouldn't allow it to run.

The problem was unique in that there was absolutely no way to boot either pc until i called Symantic (at cost) and got assisance through remote service and step-by-step audio instructions. Guess what? It was still there a year later! Eventually I called HP, got the recovery disks sent to me (at cost) and re-formatted and re-installed everything from scratch. Thus ended the problem. :eek:

And now the question:
    Did Symantic cause those crashes because they just didn't want the security-products competition and that was the only way to get folks to stop using Spyware Stormer?

OR:

Is Spyware Stormer really a virus/spyware application?

(sure i know it monitors your activity, but is the product legit?

I could not contact them by phone, and all the email support does is provide re-installation codes if you've lost the original.

Symantic, on the other hand, has this product listed as malicious software on their main site. www.symantic.com

So who's right, and who's BS-ing me? If they are selling a virus program, I spent good money, kept my receipts, and should have a lawsuit as to the business man-hours lost, time and money spent doing repair isues, etc.

If it was just Symantic doing what big companies are capable of doing, then I guess I'm just screwed. :(

all comments welcome- 06/28/07 :eek:

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!