1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spyware/Privacy concern

Discussion in 'General Security' started by onlineguy, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onlineguy

onlineguy Thread Starter

I've seen some sites advertising that their 'parental monitoring software' or the likes is undetectable. How is this any different from spyware? Is it really undetectable? Currently I have Norton Internet Security. Also is there anything I can do about other computers on the same network sniffing my activity?

2. Nebastion

Nebastion

Task manager will show you what processes are running at any given time, if you sift through them looking for any that look suspicious (they usually do)
    Superantispyware is good for key loggers and such if you want to download and install it, its a good program to have for general security aswell.

3. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Parental monitoring software is indeed spyware.

However, it is spyware installed with the knowledge and consent of the owner of the computer. This, naturally, makes it fully acceptable.

Now if you are the kid whose parents have installed this, you might not find it acceptable. But, given that your parents have a positive obligation to keep track of what you are up to, I think that probably most people won't care.

4. Michael York

Michael York

Hi onlineguy,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Spyware is a type of infection that can overtake your computer. Please see the definition from Symantec below.

What is Spyware?

The Parental Controls feature in Norton Internet Security is called "Norton Online Family" and it is used to monitor, log and restrict access to applications, websites, etc. This feature is very customizable and when it is configured correctly, it will not allow exceptions for the rules that you create. If you are not an Administrator and someone has already configured the Norton Online Family feature to log all traffic, you cannot gain access to change this option.

Thank you,

Mike

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!