Spyware Problems + Shared Router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gazza

Hi to all,

I am wondering if something is possible, with my son's computer being infected with loads of Spyware?
As we are both using Windows XP Home (SR2 level) on our computers.
We are both linked to a broadband internet connection, through a router.
We both use Zonealarm Free for the firewall's.
And recently i have found that my son's computer, must have had a copy of every type of Spyware on it.
And no matter what i did, i could not get rid of it.
I searched through this forum's posts, but no matter what i tried i could not clean it up.

So i gave up and re-installed a Norton Ghost copy of his system over the partition he had as his C:\ drive.
I have updated his system again, Windows Update, Ad-Aware, a2, SpyBot, Spyware Blaster.
And i think that his system is now Spyware free (touch wood)

And my question's are:

Can my computer be affected by the same stuff he had on his computer?
As i had file problems on my computer and blue screens.
But, running the above programs nothing was found on my computer.

So to be on the safe side, i too have re-installed my computer's D:\ partition with a Norton Ghost backup.
Both computer's seem to be running faster now.
But, i am just curious about this, and if it could happen or not?

Many thanks.

As far as I know, Spyware doesn't travel through the network like a virus/trojan would. You need to go to an infected site and download the spyware for it to get on your system, I don't know of any Spyware "yet" that actively seeks out a victim (although, someone else might know more on this).

I would also recommend using an "online" anti-virus scanner to completement your current antivirus program. Since not every anti-virus program can catch everything, its a good practice to use a different scanner to scan your system periodically. Here's two that you can use...

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_frame.asp

Here's a site that can scan for trojans:

http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/

Use these scanners periodically like once a week to scan your system and help keep it clean...

Hope this helps!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've brought some really badly spyware/malware infested computers in for cleanup and connected them to my network, and I've never had a problem. If you allow them to share files/folders, you could have a problem, but I just use the network to connect to the Internet for updates with them.

gazza

Hi,

Thank you for the replies.
It is just something that i was wondering about regarding our computers.
I should have also said that both computers are directly linked to the router. (sorry)
But they do not share any files, as i could not get that to work properly.
I have noticed though that the broadband connection has sped up a little since doing the re-installs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online