1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spyware Program That Won't Go Away or Uninstall

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jack1000, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Guys,

As you may have known from reading my posts, I had a spyware attack yesterday when going to a site that I help regulate thatwas downgraded with annoying pop-up ads. (Our accounting department made a mistake, and downgraded our server when we had paid the bill 3 days before it was due.) You may recall that I was able to clean my system with Adware and Spybot S & D. All except for one-thing, an annoying program called TV Media that appears to be the culprit with regards to my Internet connection at start up. How do I think this is the culprit? I searched the C drive and had two folders marked TV Media, clicked on properties, and they were created September 8th, around noon (about the time I went to that site.) TV MEDIA is in my Add/Remove programs list, I go to uninstall it and my dial-up internet kicks in!

So I figure, just go run MSCONFIG and get it out by unchecking it right? Well...no, I unchecked the damn thing, but when I restarted the computer, another TV Media entry is in its place. (In other words, there is something in the program that just creates multiple entries of this thing, whenever you run MS CONFIG.) The program is no longer in my Add/Remove programs list, but I still have this autodial thingy that won't go away.

I'll tell you what happend, when this spyware came on my system, (it's all gone now except for this autodialer from something called TV Media) there was something that was auto-installing in my sys tray. I knew that it was something that I didn't want, so I just exited out, spent 6 hours with the Adware and Spyware removal, which did a good job. If all I have left is this autodialer that won't turn off or uninstall itself, I think I am pretty fortunate.

I just hope that this thing doesn't interfere with my DSL. I don't think it will because when I go to tools, and Internet Options, and selected, "Never Dial A Connection" the autodialer was bi-passed. (of course, I obviously couldn't open IE because I couldn't connect to the Internet because the setting was changed.) I think, as this is a dial-up issue, DSL should by-pass it.

Jack

2. Deke40

Deke40

Here is something from microsoft that has a means to manually remove TV Media from your pc if you are still having problems with it.

3. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Thanks but no thanks. Not interested in fooling around with Regedit. I will wait until Microsoft develops an easier solution and look into it at that time.

Sincerely,

Jack

4. Fidelista

Fidelista

Hello Jack. Download Hijackthis from this site. Save to documents and then run it.
    It will create a log file.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
    Click the "Scan" button when the scan is finished the scan button will become "Save Log" click that and save the log.

Go to where you saved the log and click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" then Paste the log back here in a reply
    Do not "fix" anything.
    You should only have to know how to safe start your computer and search for the file TVM {delete and empty recycle bin} on your C Drive and fix the TVM items on your log with HJT. Someone will help you with this. >f

5. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Thanks, but I am going to let it go until an update is released by SpyBot S&D or Adaware that will remove the program through it's own software. I have heard of many users that have run that HJT, and have run into more problems. I am sure that many of the companies are away of the problems with the intrusive TVM and that a simple fix will be made avaliable shortly.

Jack

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice