spyware that erases signs of its detection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Terry Walton

I was running a Lavasoft scan on my XP SP2 today. The first two items found were low-priority and easily dealt with. Then the strangeness started. Five times a trojan was found (4 times an " Exploit Byte Verify" and once something that that had "Trojan" in the title -- sorry I wasn't more observant, but I was a bit groggy at the time.) Each time Lavasoft said that the item could not be accessed. At the end of the scan, Lavasoft said that NO THREATS
HAD BEEN FOUND. I repeated the scan and this time no trojan-detection message occurred and again I was told that no threats had been found. I then ran Spyware Doctor, which found two instances of Starware, an unrelated phenomenon, in Temporary Internet Files . . . It would appear that I have a set of trojans that erase all signs of their having been detected, making them invisible to all future scans as well. Notice to anyone who runs scans: you will now have to watch your scans as they occur.

Any suggestions on dealing with this ghostly enemy?

Welcome to TSG :)

Please download Hijackthis Here
Let it Place Hijackthis in C:\Program Files\Hijackthis
Open Hijackthis
Click on Do a System Scan and Save log file
Don't Fix any Items!!!
Just copy and paste the contents of the log file to your reply.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts