1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spyweeper has just deleted loads of files i need!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Marksy, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marksy

Marksy Thread Starter

Hi,

First off, i hope this is in the right forum, if not apologies. My problem is this, I ran spysweeper yesterday and gave the pc a full scan. It found two traces, the first a cookie, and the second, was something i haven't heard of before, "potentially rootkit-masked files". It was classed as critical, so i stupidly decided to delete the item. However my pc froze before it had started the command,and even trying ctrl,alt and delete to end the program didn't work. So i pressed my reset button, that didn't work either, so i had to press my power button in until it shutdown and rebooted. Whilst my pc was restarting, before it got to the user log on page, a load of filenames were scrolling up and down my page. I could only get a glimpse at the files, as they were going so fast, but they were the same files that had been recognised as the "potentially rootkit-masked files" as previously detected by spysweeper. I run spysweeper once again, and checked my quarantined folder to retrieve them. It confirms that the files have been restored to their previous state, but i still cant find them on my pc. Is there anyway i can retrieve these as i never wanted them deleted in the firstplace. I've also tried system mechanics search and recover program, but to no avail. Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

The files are mp3's.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

PS. Sorry if this is long, but it does say to mention everything that happened! :eek:

2. Marksy

Marksy Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies, there much appreciated! Will be going to a better, more helpful forum from now on.

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

You posted only one day ago. You are being a bit impatient. If you do not have a helpful response by tomorrow, open your Thread and simply put "bump" in the text area. You will go back to the head of the line.

Did you establish a "restore point" or a Registry backup before deleting?
    {redoak}

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice