1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SQL Help for a beginner.

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Wu-tang, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wu-tang

Wu-tang Thread Starter

Hi, I would like to learn the basics of SQL...for example creating tables, inserting data and performing queries on this data. (CREATE, INSERT,DELETE etc etc)...basically simple commands, joins and stuff like that. I would like to do this on my home computer just as preparation for my university course.

I'm having a litttle trouble finding out what I need to download in order to do this..If anyone helps, it is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you very much.

2. ehymel

ehymel

Do you have a database program? That's the first step. Try mysql, then google 'sql tutorial' and enjoy!

3. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Note that the correct description is 'database management system' or DBMS. I make this distinction because installing the program might not create a database. (Some DBMS's install practice databases, but some don't. I'm not sure whether mysql does or not.) If it doesn't then the 1st SQL you'll need to learn are the CREATE DATABASE and CREATE TABLE statements. You might also want to learn the ALTER statements as you probably won't create the database & table exactly the way you want it the 1st time. You might also want to learn the CREATE and ALTER USER statements. You can probably use your 1st database without that because it'll probably create an 'owner' account automatically but you'll likely run into these issues sooner or later.

4. Wu-tang

Wu-tang Thread Starter

Yeh, basically, i need a DBMS that will allow me to create a databases and tables etc. I don't know where i can download it from. I've tried the Oracle and MySQL websites but there are so many different downloads, i don't know which one is suitable.

5. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

The mysql website seems to be pretty clear that the version you'd want is the MySQL Community Edition. I have no idea what free software is available from Oracle, but note that Oracle has a semi-proprietary version of SQL. (Of course I don't know that MySQL doesn't use its own 'proprietary' version either. But I have used both Oracle & SQL Server and generally think the latter better conforms to the SQL standard. Although I don't remember right off which standard that is and the difference might be age, e.g. the standard might have changed between when I used Oracle & when I used SQL Server.)

6. ehymel

ehymel

Great point, thanks for the clarification!

7. Wu-tang

Wu-tang Thread Starter

Thanks for your help so far. Do you mean i need mysql community server? Or MySQL Cluster Community Edition?

8. ehymel

ehymel

Community Server... follow the links provided by both myself and calvin.

9. Wu-tang

Wu-tang Thread Starter

I downloaded the msi installer and installed community server, everything went fine, didn't get any errors.

How do i open it?

The only thing that has appeared in my start menu is the MySQL instance configuration wizard. If you can't tell already, I am a n00b.

10. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

OK, you got your database server software installed, now you need a client. There are a lot of clients out there, including 'write-your-own' if you're a programmer-but for learning what you probably want is something like MySQL Workbench (link is on the same MySQL page). Note that I don't use MySQL so I'm not familiar with the GUI interface, but the description implies that it includes a text area for writing SQL scripts which is probably what you want. If you learn a GUI tool then you know that tool-but if you learn SQL then you can use it in a lot of tools.

If nobody suggests anything different then try downloading & installing MySQL Workbench. On the same MySQL page as you downloaded the server, click the Documentation tab. That will give you the MySQL reference manual for whichever version you have (probably 5.5, the newest version). Chapter 3 is a tutorial.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice